Thread: Decode settings?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Decode settings? 
    Hi,
    I'm new in the forum, and currently on my learning curve with Scratch.

Got confused into the decode settings filter list. (inside "Resolution" settings) Got it set to Linear.

Is there something I'd need to know practically on the other options,what they bring or what to avoid?

Lanczos, Mitchell etc...

Thanks.

Good question Fred. Choice of scaling filter type is a powerful, and often overlooked tool in the box. My usual technique is to audition several filters to see which renders a particular shot closest to the creative intent. My little secret is that I can often achieve the right amount of sharpness for a particular shot simply through scaling filter choice rather than applying traditional sharpening techniques. The biggest advantage of this approach is that a lot of footage gets further sharpening after it leaves your hands and double sharpening can cause nasty aliasing.

I should also point out that one can also use scaling filter selection to soften a close up that might reveal a bit too much detail in a particular actors face, without de-focusing those shots so much they cut poorly with the master. Enjoy Scratch, the GUI is oddball but it's a fantastic tool with great depth.

Cheers - #19

Thanks a lot Blair.
    Yes, That's what I had in mind indeed. I've been searching details on those filters performances in both upsamplng and downsamping. It really affects the results as you point. I'll have to run further real life tests.
    Cheers.

My pleasure Fred. FWIW, I have found the results very scene dependent and not necessarily predictable. My best suggestion is to attach at least 2 different high quality monitors and study the effects with your own eyes. It would be convenient if it were about the math, but it's a feel thing in my book.

Cheers - #19