Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Cinema camera or Video camera?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    That's next week... :-)

Actually, this clipped highlight thing is the single biggest issue facing RED ONE users. If it was all about the camera, that would be one thing. But so much footage is "reduced in quality" during grading that it deserves most of our attention. Again, it is the primary benefit of Build 16.

Jim
    Maybe some more in-depth Redcine tutorials are in order? It'd be great to see examples of what not to do....and how to squeeze the best image out in Redcine. Remember, you guys are changing the rules when it comes to digital cinema. It'd be great if you'd also supply us with a rule book :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    did you mean over expose? I'm not sure i understand.
    This is what I am a bit fuddled with too at the moment. I hear people using the term "Shooting to the Right" I always took that as being a direct reference to the histogram which would then tend for the image to be slightly over exposed. On the other hand I was not sure if they were talking about an RGB histogram or one indicative of exposure, same thing in a way I guess.

Anyone care to clear that up?

Cheers,
    Mark.
    P.S Even though my system was delivered a long while ago I haven't actually touched it yet. The unwrapping ceremony happens next week in San Diego. Looking forward to that.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

liquidmocean

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Sorry... I did mean over-expose. I got twisted up in the double negative RAW thing and a short attention span.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    There are a few ways to make your RED ONE look like it has 7 stops of dynamic range... two primary ways.

1. Over-expose. Just clip the highlights while you record and there won't be any need to screw up anything in grading. This is the easiest way to turn a Digital Cinema Camera into an ordinary looking video camera (although you will still have more resolution).

2. Grade it improperly. Use ISO or exposure to set the mid-grey (or make most of the image look right) in RED Alert!, REDCINE, Scratch or Final Cut... without any regard for the histogram. Let the highlights go because the "middle of the image looks right". Don't use a curve to pull up the middle because that would hold the highlight you wish to blow out. Clipping is an art. If you can get really good at it, you may also learn what not to do "just in case you want the full info for a specialty shot".

As has been pointed out, the RED ONE does not have as much DNR as film. While most people think it is plenty to work with... it certainly does not if you throw away info.

Here's some good news. We are here to help. Build 16 makes it MUCH more difficult to miss exposure. And REDspace does a great job of helping to see your image without tempting you to make grading errors.

There are some of you that are saying "I don't do that. I know exactly what to do and how to get the most DNR with my RED ONE". OK, then. I'm not talking to you.

Here is an example of how to get an image to clip with one grading button.

I know... this grab is not that sharp. That isn't the point here...

Jim
    I guess I'm playing Devil's Advocate here but don't you think it would be more constructive to make a post saying: "How to make your Red look like it has 11 stops of Dynamic Range," and not telling us all what what NOT to do?

Personally, my company has always done better by ignoring the naysayers rather than acknowledging them. It just seems more clear as well.
    Director of Photography, Partner: Ahptic Film & Digital
    www.ahptic.com
    www.facebook.com/ahptic
    www.citycenterstudios.com

Actually, the way Jim wrote it is more memorable, for me.

With film, the tendency is to under expose a negative to keep the shadows from blocking. RED RAW footage is exactly the opposite... which I'm sure has contributed to some difficulties.
    OK this means:
    When you shoot film you usually rate the film stock at a lower ISO rate so you slightly over-expose it with the intent to keep the shadows from blocking.

When shoot Digital RAW you usually rate the chip at a higher ISO rate (RED is rated at 320 but you shoot it at higher ISO; someone says 500) so you under-expose your footage with the intent to keep the highlights from clipping.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by jbeale View Post
    Actually, the way Jim wrote it is more memorable, for me.
    Sarcasm is definitely more memorable, but rarely useful.
    Director of Photography, Partner: Ahptic Film & Digital
    www.ahptic.com
    www.facebook.com/ahptic
    www.citycenterstudios.com

I hear people using the term "Shooting to the Right" I always took that as being a direct reference to the histogram which would then tend for the image to be slightly over exposed.
    No never over-expose a shot
    Always try to keep your histogram as much to the right as possible withough clipping the highlights.

Thanks Michele, maybe I was just looking out at the world from the Histograms POV !!

Cheers,
    Mark.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

liquidmocean

One of the first things I noticed about Red Cine was how something like improper use of the ISO settings could permanently clip highlights (assuming you exported the file with those settings, the RAW data is fine).

I've also noticed this type of thing in FCP's Color. If you clip a highlight in the Primary in Room, you can't "resurrect" that highlight in the Primary Out room. I personally find that very annoying, as it makes the grading process more cumbersome. I don't have that issue grading in other programs like After Effects. I don't remember if Avid Adrenaline had this issue...
    Chris Nuzzaco - Director of Photography / Colorist
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com