Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: #4K4ALL

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    It does look to be a Canon mouth judging by the image. If it were a M4/3 mouth, I think the sensor plane mark would be closer to the mouth....

Very exciting. Scarlet dragon isn't going anywhere so it's going to have to be differentiated. I'm guessing it's a 4k pro res only version of the weapon body and that it's not going to be as cheap as we'd all like it to be.
    Weapon/ Ultra primes
    https://bh264.sqsp.com/

To answer some questions with my thoughts, though still speculative:

- The design does appear to be what I call DSMC 2.0 (though there's no official name yet for the Weapon body form factor).
    - I don't think this camera will have the "Weapon" name on it, though I do think accessories that work with Weapon will work here.
    - The material itself appears to be an aluminum or plastic body, which makes me think that it will be in a similar weight class as Weapon, which is good.
    - Having a fixed mount, appears to be a DSMC Canon EF Mount in the picture, does indeed save money as it's less material and assembly time. Which makes me wonder if RED will offer EF and PL separately similar to what others do.
    - Now that the Standard OLPF has been revealed, I bet there's a good chance that this will indeed have a fixed internal OLPF, but who knows. That could also equate to savings actually.
    - RED normally places the sensor designation below the "RED" logo on the SSD Side Module, however Jarred was sneaky and used some foreground to block that out. Which makes one's mind wander a bit.
    - RED recently announced both 120GB and 240GB MINI-MAGs that are lower cost options compared to the faster and larger capacity 512GB and 1TB MINI-MAGs. I think this would be using MINI-MAGs still.
    - #4K4ALL means to me that this will likely be a more affordable option for an entry level RED camera with a focus on the newer body form factor, which I think will be around for a while.
    - Too early to tell if you can "upgrade to" this from Scarlet or Epic Dragon bodies. Heck, they might surprise us and provide a path for Mysterium-X shooters even.
    - Too early to tell if there is an upgrade path to the "future" from whatever this little beast is.
    - RED recently has built relationships with both AbelCine and Samys. Which makes one wonder if this will be something that competes with other manufacturers entry level cameras. I wonder if we'll see RED gear at B&H one day?
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

An interesting development but certainly a dilemma for deciding whether to go from the Scarlet Dragon somewhat "sideways" to get on the new Weapon form factor, or suck it up and stay on the "higher" (albeit , probably more expensive) path of the Weapons that have been shown. Time will tell and price will be a factor, as will features.

Good analysis, Phil. Thanks.

Perhaps it'll accept Cfast 2.0 cards.

Or maybe this is Red's 1000fps 4K camera.

Can't wait :D

If indeed there is a new model(s), the KIT price needs to be around $10K. The feature set will probably be much more fixed than previous models which will be understandable given price. Media and accessories shouldn't overwhelm the cost of the camera, that would be a significant distraction to any new customers contemplating buying into the RED ecosystem. and the camera needs to ship in mass before NAB 2016. The current upgrade process/timeline along with the original pre MX/Dragon/Weapon camera anouncement in the not so distant past is still a sore spot for many.

So hopefully, the tech in the vault that never made it to market can be re-purposed and re-gadgeted. Now would a ideal time to smartly poach the competitors for new customers before the buy-in starts.

And lastly, it needs not to compete in price and performance with existing products. People are too easily confused and misinformed. The Scarlet, a fine and capable product, didn't get the right amount of shine because of being overshadowed by its brethren. No sensor upgrades, no modifications down the road, no tethering of any sort. Want fine china--spend upstream. Just a good solid 4K acquisition device (kit) at a phenomenal price would be a slam dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    To answer some questions with my thoughts, though still speculative:

- The design does appear to be what I call DSMC 2.0 (though there's no official name yet for the Weapon body form factor).
    - I don't think this camera will have the "Weapon" name on it, though I do think accessories that work with Weapon will work here.
    - The material itself appears to be an aluminum or plastic body, which makes me think that it will be in a similar weight class as Weapon, which is good.
    - Having a fixed mount, appears to be a DSMC Canon EF Mount in the picture, does indeed save money as it's less material and assembly time. Which makes me wonder if RED will offer EF and PL separately similar to what others do.
    - Now that the Standard OLPF has been revealed, I bet there's a good chance that this will indeed have a fixed internal OLPF, but who knows. That could also equate to savings actually.
    - RED normally places the sensor designation below the "RED" logo on the SSD Side Module, however Jarred was sneaky and used some foreground to block that out. Which makes one's mind wander a bit.
    - RED recently announced both 120GB and 240GB MINI-MAGs that are lower cost options compared to the faster and larger capacity 512GB and 1TB MINI-MAGs. I think this would be using MINI-MAGs still.
    - #4K4ALL means to me that this will likely be a more affordable option for an entry level RED camera with a focus on the newer body form factor, which I think will be around for a while.
    - Too early to tell if you can "upgrade to" this from Scarlet or Epic Dragon bodies. Heck, they might surprise us and provide a path for Mysterium-X shooters even.
    - Too early to tell if there is an upgrade path to the "future" from whatever this little beast is.
    - RED recently has built relationships with both AbelCine and Samys. Which makes one wonder if this will be something that competes with other manufacturers entry level cameras. I wonder if we'll see RED gear at B&H one day?
    My first guess is MX sensor, low cost camera. I bet RED still have the production line for MX sensors still intact and they must have quite a big load of those sensors left over now. It´s not a bad sensor in any way, still alot better than most competitors, if you add the fact that RED got further in their OLPF development and most likely can apply their new findings also to this camera even if it would be an mx. Also it could be Dragon sensors that did not get good enough quality. I have no idea what ratio RED has for their sensors but simply put the higher resolution you got in a sensor the bigger the chance is that you got to many bad photo sites in the array to pass quality control. If the bad pixels are along the sides / edges of the sensor it would still be good enough to pull out a center crop 4k picture from it.

I think it ´s odd that they do a fixed EF mount. To me it would be a smarter / more low cost to just do it as epic. and only have electronics for epic mounts. Then people can use dumb mounts which seams like an option that would be more adjustable to price. But then again if all cameras have the same mount it´s easer to program for it and more reason to put effort into controlling EF lenses.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

All i can say is that if this camera is in the sub 5,000 dollar range my red one mx is going on the market immediately! I'm hoping they announce at IBC
    Digital T Productions
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27HP Varicam
    Panasonic AJ-SDX900 DVCPRO 50
    Panasonic LUMIX G7
    Fuji B4 SD Zoom
    28 & 80mm PL Lenses
    14-42 & 24mm F1.4 MFT Lenses
    P&S Technik PRO35 Adapter
    AJA KiProMini Field Recorder
    BlackMagic Video Assist 1080p
    2008 Apple Mac Pro 8 Core & Apple Cinema Display

I reeeeeeeeeaaaaallly hope this bad boy is the camera where they figure out how to make REDRAW sip the power juices. My travel pack has more weight, pound for pound, in batteries than it does in lenses + camera body. I know it's a pipe dream but I hope it has the option of internal NDs as well.

If they can do a full kit price in a range that beats out the C300 (say, $12K-15K) it'll sell well. If they can get the kit price below $10K it'll sell a ton.

For me, if it's got the weight savings of Weapon, is less power hungry and under $20K-ish to get it equipped, one (or two) of them will probably join my lineup of Red cams.
    Trevor Meier :: Story & Image
    http://trevormeier.com/
    http://storyspark.ca/

GEMINI #09
    Epic-W, Raven, Epic Dragon
    Proud owner since Red One #182

"4K4ALL" doesn't mean body that costs over 10k$. It must be sub 5k$ body. Maybe around 3k$ if they really want to compete with Blackmagic and others.
    RED is the PC of cinema world. Most powerful, most customizable and most freedom.