Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 9 1/2 stops...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 9 1/2 stops... 
    Just foolin' around. Background T32, face in covered, heavily shaded doorway T1.7 (ISO 400).

1st one is not worked much... nothing clipped and nothing crushed pure black. This test is the "hard way"... putting the subject as the darkest object in a high range scene. We are not debating whether or not the details or noise in the shadows of the trees are good enough or not.

2nd one is worked with highlight recovery only to show that the info is really there. Not as a grading option.

Metered with Sekonic Cine.

Jim

"The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Sweet.
    Matt Gottshalk, DP
    Emmy Award winning Editor
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260

What build are you on?
    Nathan Garofalos
    HELIUM 31
    Weapon 44
    Carbon Dragon #13 + more...
    GSS C516's
    http://inclinedynamicoutlet.com

Is this build 16, Jim?

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    This is Build 16. Build 15 will do this as well, just won't look quite as good... :-)

This is more about grading technique and not throwing away info.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Banned
    I can see that there is information there in the second image, but I have to say that it looks terrible. It's not an acceptable image. I'm not trying to jump on you, but it doesn't seem like a very good grade. Is this how the new noise looks?

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Geek View Post
    I can see that there is information there in the second image, but I have to say that it looks terrible. It's not an acceptable image. I'm not trying to jump on you, but it doesn't seem like a very good grade. Is this how the new noise looks?
    Maybe I should delete that 2nd one? It is not a useable grade. It is just hyper-extended to show the info is there. Or were you kidding?

Jim

The noise looks much better. Far less patterning, I'll need to hold out to see it in motion though.
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

Banned
    I'm not kidding. I would take the second one off. Do you have a different grade, something in the middle? I think that the second one just makes the camera look noisy.

Banned
    I can delete my post as well if you'd like.