Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Grading RED footage...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Grading RED footage... 
    This info has probably gotten lost somewhere in the archives, although I have posted it more than once. This example uses RED Alert! but also applies to other grading programs. It assumes a high range scene and working in REC 709 (for this example) and you have set the White Balance. The examples below are not designed to be pretty... it was to show RED ONE footage in the most difficult situation. Make your subject the darkest object in an extremely high range scene... and hold tone everywhere.

1. Expose footage properly (another discussion for Build 15 and easy with Build 16).

2. Open your file in RED Alert! and reference your histogram while you get all important highlight info inside the right edge with the Exposure Control (in case you missed slightly). If you missed a lot, you will quickly run into trouble down the road. Which means your footage will either be noisy or your highlights will be clipped. The more you missed it, the more trouble you will have.

3. Use the Curve Control to make the image look right. You can control almost everything right here. Leave the Black and White points (bottom left and top right) alone.

You DO NOT want to move, cut off, or throw away highlight info... at any point in the process with any application. If you do throw away highlight info, it should be a conscious decision.

Below are two examples from RED Alert!

The 1st is exactly what I described for Build 15. Notice REC 709 is selected as the Output LUT/Gamma. Also notice that Chroma Denoise is OFF.

The 2nd example is the same file but opened in REDspace instead of REC 709. You will see that they look is virtually identical, but no curves were added. Build 16 RED Alert! adds REDspace (as does your camera) and still maintains all the other Output LUT options.

The final example (shown on another Recon thread "9.5 Stops") is a "very mildly adjusted" image from the same file. I incident metered the scene with a Sekonic Cine. Both the bright and shadow areas were very evenly lit so the metering was accurate. T32 outside (at ISO 400) and T1.7 for the heavily shaded doorway.

Tungsten lighting will never yield as good of results as Daylight. The sensor is Daylight balanced. If I shoot tungsten, I still work with a daylight setting in RED Alert! and correct later. Low light will also not yield as good of range. But you knew that.

Jim

"The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Thank you for info. "Also notice that Chroma Denoise is OFF." - why is that?
    Jonas Nystrom;
    director & photographer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    cell +46 702 604 210
    jonasfilm@icloud.com
    www.jonyphoto.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Nyström View Post
    Thank you for info. "Also notice that Chroma Denoise is OFF." - why is that?
    I save that one for the times I miss the exposure... :-)

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    I save that one for the times I miss the exposure... :-)

Jim
    Jim, what is the function of Chroma De-noise in a case of missed exposure? I guess what I'm really asking is, when and why should we use it?

AFAIK from other denoising programs, chroma denoise brings the colored noise down, leaving the more filmic luma noise.

It should help as well with color moiré's and so on.

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmeledon View Post
    Jim, what is the function of Chroma De-noise in a case of missed exposure? I guess what I'm really asking is, when and why should we use it?
    It is as it sounds... it is a Graeme special. It reduces chroma (color) noise if you need it. There are a few levels depending on the severity. It is always best never to use it because you pay a price. But if you have footage that needs it, it will be your best friend.

I can't stress enough how important it is to nail the exposure. Noisy footage and limited range starts here (missed exposure).

Jim

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post

I can't stress enough how important it is to nail the exposure. .

Jim
    If you guys read that and are starting to get worried.. I dont blame you. Using just the monitor and even the meters on build 15, it took a bit of learning to know exaclty what your shadows, mid-greys and highlight clip points were, and sometimes the monitor could trick you.

The good news, is in Build 16, the meters, viewing options and monitor paths all have finally been synced up, plus there are a few extra surprises in there to make your life even easier if need be.

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Some more good news... if you have been disappointed in your footage, you can always go back and regrade the RAW. You might be surprised what you have.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    If you guys read that and are starting to get worried.. I dont blame you...

...The good news, is in Build 16, the meters, viewing options and monitor paths all have finally been synced up, plus there are a few extra surprises in there to make your life even easier if need be.
    phew... good to hear :)

jim,

i would like ... but i have no camera (#20xx), but i believe you