Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Grading RED footage...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Some more good news... if you have been disappointed in your footage, you can always go back and regrade the RAW. You might be surprised what you have.

Jim
    And dont feel bad if you do botch it at first.... even some of the big boys with the big guns have missed it the first time around.

When you have a million dollar shot ( or even a $5 shot that was just perfect) that you think is gone because of a bad grade, but then you go back and make a recovery from the R3D file, You really start to appreciate the value of RAW.. We see it almost every day.

I incident metered the scene with a Sekonic Cine. Both the bright and shadow areas were very evenly lit so the metering was accurate. T32 outside (at ISO 400) and T1.7 for the heavily shaded doorway.
    Hummm... could you shoot something like this again and take spot meter readings instead? I think thats a far more accurate way of determining just how many stops difference there was in contrast. Incident readings really aren't the best way to do business, at least thats what Ansel Adam's believed, and in my own practice of metering, I've come to agree with his view. I actually think you might have more than 9.5 stops difference there to be honest, but only spot metering will really tell...

Thanks for the tease, I'll be shooting my first Red test on build 15 this Tuesday :)
    Chris Nuzzaco - Director of Photography / Colorist
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I have metered (spot and incident) for longer than I wish to remember. In very even lighting, I am comfortable with the numbers. And I have checked this meter for accuracy. But this really was not about being 9, 9.5 or 10 stops to show the limit of RED DNR. It was a response to customers that are only getting 6-8 stops... which I wanted to show is a grading issue. Maybe when I have more than 5 minutes for a real test...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    The Sekonic Cine actually has a contrast function in stops using the incident meter rather than using the spot function ( it actually doesnt even work in spot) .. you should give it a try Chris. It gives you a pretty accurate difference reading in stops between two light sources that works amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The Sekonic Cine actually has a contrast function in stops using the incident meter rather than using the spot function ( it actually doesnt even work in spot) .. you should give it a try Chris. It gives you a pretty accurate difference reading in stops between two light sources that works amazingly well.
    Not to go off topic Jared, but have you calibrated the Sekonic to the RED?

Thanks, I'm not ragging on you guys or anything, just voicing my opinion on determining reflective contrast. I actually own the Sekonic Cine meter (love it!).

Did you set your exposure based on the incident reading outside or via the new monitoring tools in cam?
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com

It was a response to customers that are only getting 6-8 stops... which I wanted to show is a grading issue. Maybe when I have more than 5 minutes for a real test...
    Jim
    :whistling:
    Thanks to going to all the effort to clear this up, it is massively appreciated.
    I think I have some research to do about proper grading technique for red raw footage. This camera is truly a learning experience... and a good one at that.
    #646 "Darwin"

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reno View Post
    Not to go off topic Jared, but have you calibrated the Sekonic to the RED?
    I started to make a profile with mine but half way through the meter went bezerk, ( I think it has a crush on Jim cause now it only works when Jim touches it). Anyways, the good thing is we got a little fleet of them in last week, and Graeme has one now, so we should have one soon after we get the more important things out of the way.

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardmaverick View Post
    Thanks, I'm not ragging on you guys or anything, just voicing my opinion on determining reflective contrast. I actually own the Sekonic Cine meter (love it!).

Did you set your exposure based on the incident reading outside or via the new monitoring tools in cam?
    I noted the bright and shadow areas to measure the range of the scene but set exposure from the camera tools.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Cool. Are the new metering tools based off of the linear response now?

I actually plan on shooting more less a similar test like this on Tuesday with build 15. I'm really curious about how my personal ISO rating technique will come out (I'll be playing with all kind of possibilities, not just my obsession with fiddling around at ISO 100). It should be really fun, I'll be sure to post my experiences.

One thing that just entered my mind... This build has changed the compression approach right?
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com