Thread: RED RAVEN - Info and Data Sheets

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I'm very excited to have pre-ordered this camera! I would like to ask however is the "DSMC2 Base I/O V-Lock Expander" the same module as the "Weapon Base Expander"? Or what are the differences? Is the "DSMC2 Universal Handle" the same as the "Weapon Top Handle"? I'd love to know so I can find out which one I should order separately if need be.

How light is it? Can we expect to fly this on the Movi M5?

I'm totally in for a low-cost camera like this being a fixed EF mount, but as this seems like a camera that could really attract a lot of doc shooters, is there any chance that a model will be available in the future with built in motion mount / NDs?
    Skip Hobbie
    Austin, TX

Epic Owner / Operator
    Wildlife Cinematographer / Documentary Filmmaker

www.skipswildlife.com
    www.skiphobbieproductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Pretty sure we are talking 4K FF 120fps on RAVEN.
    Yes and 150fps @4KWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Loera View Post
    How light is it? Can we expect to fly this on the Movi M5?
    3.5lbs Justin. And actually, I just got my hands on it and have a few notes.

I was just at RED Studios Hollywood and got to check out RAVEN very closely. Here's the new bird:

That's RED RAVEN with the new Xeen lenses in EF Mount. One thing that immediately struck me is the new fixed EF Mount design. It has a very smooth action and is rock solid. I think an improvement even over the current DSMC EF Mounts we use with Scarlet, Epic, and Weapon. Very impressive.

The camera is pretty light weight, which means you can do damn near anything with it. One thing I've been curious about is that 4.7" LCD Touch, it does indeed "fold down", which mean you can stash the camera with the LCD rigged in a case or bag and whip it out to be ready to shoot.

I was very fortunate to speak to Jarred for a good while, which I very much appreciate btw. The DSMC˛ style camera brain has a very bright future and there's lots going and tons of potential.

One thing I think I should say as many have asked me about 4K video out or the ability to record a 4K stream out. The clear focus with RAVEN (and WEAPON) cameras is to make things as compact and powerful as possible and to do "as much" in the camera as possible. On Raven you have the power to shoot 4K FF at a very, very low REDCODE Compression Ratio. That will yield a very high quality image that can be of course turned into any type of file via REDCINE-X PRO or 3rd Party NLE or whatever. That's what's being offered without having to worry about external recorders, extra batteries, cables, etc....
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

So what exactly is the crop factor of the Raven when compared to Full Frame?

Red is saying very close to APS-C which is 1.6x and others have said 1.87x? Is there a definitive number?

Either way, still probably going to get this camera. Serious steal for the price.

Maybe Phil Holland can chime in on this since what Phil says, tends to be final word.
    Last edited by Gene Sung; 09-25-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Sung View Post
    So what exactly is the crop factor of the Raven when compared to Full Frame?

Red is saying very close to APS-C which is 1.6x and others have said 1.87x? Is there a definitive number?

Either way, still probably going to get this camera. Serious steal for the price.
    If we are talking "traditional" FF35, let's crop that to a FF aspect ratio of 1.90:1 because we care about width more than anything.

That should be 1.76x relative to FF35 and 0.83x relative to S35.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    If we are talking "traditional" FF35, let's crop that to a FF aspect ratio of 1.90:1 because we care about width more than anything.

That should be 1.76x relative to FF35 and 0.83x relative to S35.
    Thanks Phil,

1.76x isn't that huge of a deal. I'm fine with that. Now if it was pushing 2x, I'd be a little concerned. My 7D was 1.6x and the Ursa is around 1.7x and nobody was complaining. First world camera problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Sung View Post
    Thanks Phil,

1.76x isn't that huge of a deal. I'm fine with that. Now if it was pushing 2x, I'd be a little concerned. My 7D was 1.6x and the Ursa is around 1.7x and nobody was complaining. First world camera problems.
    The important thing to remember about crop factors is it's all relative to wherever you start from. Doesn't matter if it's FF35, S35, S16, or an iPhone. I'm seeing some posts "oh man that crop factor is huge". Well yes, if you are talking IMAX 70mm of course it is :)

RAVEN's Dragon sensor is in the realm of S35 and APS-C sized sensors and that's pretty much what it is.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm really bad with math, so to figure out what my lenses are in relation to my FS7 (Super 35mm 1.5x crop compared to FF), should I go 1.76 - 1.5 = 0.26

So an 11mm Tokina would be 11mm x 1.26 = 13.86 mm on the Raven?

Is that correct? Or is that just totally off?