Thread: lenses for red raven

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 lenses for red raven 
    Banned
    Hi, considering its sensor size (like m4/3) with an announced FF crop factor of 1.87, What are the best lense or adaptor solution for, especially fast lenses for wider shoot.

Canon CN primes are FF so a 24mm is like 45mm and then the lowest CN 14mm is T3.1 so no way for wider and fast and light as it is T3.1

I think maybe some S35 mm lenses will be better as the crop factor will be less, true ?
    Problem is that there are no too many primes on S35 with high quality for Canon EF.

What about using a Zeiss Ultra Prime, they are PL only but S35 and not FF, so it will reduce the crop factor so UP may give raven a best approach for low light and wide shoots. What do you think about ? is there any PL to Canon EF adaptor that work ok especially for arri Ultr primes ? (i read some not work)

So whats your opinion about, what high quality lenses you think will be better to have for raven low light speed wide shoots ?

UPDATE: As for this long discoussion current options in Cinema lenses with fast aperture and wide are:

CINEMA QUALITY:
    Optimo Style 16-40 cinema about 17K so too much for this camera
    ULTRA PRIMES: Does not work (about 12-14K/lense) as need PL but that is one of the best options out there for this camera

MID-QUALITY:
    GL Options 18 35 Rehoused Sigma, about 3500US$ for 100 or 4500US$ for 300
    Optica Elite T1.3 for wide for about 5K per prime, but needs PL. I talked with Gregori, he can study to try to find a way to build this lenses for EF
    Illumina, same as above, except I didnt talk with anyone

CHEAP ONES:
    Rokinon DS
    Canon Zooms
    I dont reccomend or I dont see in my arsenal, a RED camera with a cheap lense, Im sorry

I discart Canon CN as 24mm is T3.1, Zeiss CP2 as the same or poor at wide, same with Xeen. There's no other FF with wide and fast features

RESUME: Will be better if RED produces a PL mount, can be fixed to fit in the RED line, but a PL
    Last edited by Tony Hernandez; 10-05-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Maybe the 11-16mm tokina for canon. Its a 2.8 but the quality is good, and will get you fairly wide.

Or Canons own new 11-24mm. Very good quality, for a bit more coin (and slower 4.0).
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, XT and Amira, Sony Venice, Varicam 35
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa, CinEvision, Atlas Orion
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Facebook page for updates

Banned
    Primes ?
    As I think Phil said Raven is on S35 realm as for lenses, Will be better the Zeiss Ultra Primes ? if so, what adaptor for ?
    I think canon CN as explained, is no go for wide lowlight shoots on raven sensor, so what other alternatives for low light, prime of course.. 2.8 is too much

Look... the sensor is native 1.9:1 and 20.48mm wide. The Raven has an EF mount and in comparison to FF35 the crop factor is 1.76 on the width. That's it. Shall we agree to drop all references to MFT going forward, since we're not using those lenses anyway?

Now that you have the crop factor you can do the math. It's very straight forward.

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS = 30-97mm <-- will be popular with f2.8 and IS plus it has a good reputation for resolution.
    EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 = 18-39mm
    EF 16-35 f4 IS = 28-62mm
    EF 11-24 f4 = 19-42mm

Sigma 18-35 f1.8 = 32-62mm

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 = 19-28mm

And of course, then there's the aperture crop factor to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    Look... the sensor is native 1.9:1 and 20.48mm wide. The Raven has an EF mount and in comparison to FF35 the crop factor is 1.76 on the width. That's it. Shall we agree to drop all references to MFT going forward, since we're not using those lenses anyway?

Now that you have the crop factor you can do the math. It's very straight forward.

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS = 30-97mm <-- will be popular with f2.8 and IS plus it has a good reputation for resolution.
    EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 = 18-39mm
    EF 16-35 f4 IS = 28-62mm
    EF 11-24 f4 = 19-42mm

Sigma 18-35 f1.8 = 32-62mm

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 = 19-28mm

And of course, then there's the aperture crop factor to consider.
    And a 24-105 becomes a 42-185, which is useful in the medium telephoto range.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hernandez View Post
    Primes ?
    As I think Phil said Raven is on S35 realm as for lenses, Will be better the Zeiss Ultra Primes ? if so, what adaptor for ?
    I think canon CN as explained, is no go for wide lowlight shoots on raven sensor, so what other alternatives for low light, prime of course.. 2.8 is too much
    Ultra primes won't work- their PL mounts are not suited for PL->EF adapters
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Gloptics 18-35 1.8?

The near-mint Tokina 11-16 ii that I've had sitting in a drawer since I got the EPIC will be killer on the RAVEN. I'll have to dig it out and post it for sale for the influx of RAVEN folks.

Goodness, so many numbers and concepts thrown around here, with very little base on the reality of day to day shooting...
    Sorry, but this constant comparison to FF is not just wrong, it shows a lack of knowledge in what motion picture cameras have been for a very long time.
    I don't recall ant DP's running around, freaking out that their cameras have a 1.5 crop factor compared to cameras from the stills guys, nor have I seen petitions to Arri, complaining on how come the film goes through the gate vertically, when they could design a camera going horizontally so they could have a FF exposed negative. (there are such cameras, but that's beside the point)
    Guys, Super 35 is the golden standard in motion pictures. Forget the 5D's and FF for a minute.
    The Raven is very close to Super 35. Treat it as such and you'll be fine. a 16 or 18mm prime is usually the widest you'll go in S35 (not counting specialty shots, like fisheye for ex.) if you have an 11-16, you're more than covered.
    Also, an 18mm is the same lens, no matter what camera or sensor you pair it to. So saying a 24mm is for FF, then it'll become 45mm, it's ludicrous. The 24 is still the 24. you are just seeing a little less of it.
    Imagine that you are standing 10ft away from a glass door. you are looking outside. You see the furniture right outside the door, trees in the distance. now, pull the curtains closed a little bit. What you see is still the same, you just see a little less of it on the sides. so the "lens" is still the same, you just see a little less. now walk towards the glass door. You just went "wider" so the relationship between the angles of what you see outside now is different. That's a change in your focal length. The amount of curtains that you pull won't change the relationship between the objects you see. Therefore a 50 is a 50 is a 50.
    Besides all of this, the difference between S35 and the Ravens sensor is very small. Unless you find yourself all the time saying: I wish this 50mm was a 44mm, you are not going to have any issues out in the real world.
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    The Raven is very close to Super 35. Treat it as such and you'll be fine.
    Besides all of this, the difference between S35 and the Ravens sensor is very small. Unless you find yourself all the time saying: I wish this 50mm was a 44mm, you are not going to have any issues out in the real world.
    Sorry but your definition of "close " ifs different than mine. 20mm(raven)/25mm(S35) width is 80% (or 75% depending which way you are calculating) If that's "very close".......
    The diagonal is even more spread out(because of the roughly 2:1 aspect ratio of the Raven vs 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio of the S35) 22mm diagonal Raven vs 30mm diagonal S35. If that's "very close" to you.... That's fine- your definition ;-)
    And it will work fine- with the right lenses ..... just pick them carefully....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment