Thread: Focus problems with my Dragon after upgrade

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hmm,
    Dragon has a olpf so if you compare to 5D you got a softer image at 1:1.
    But I can not really judge those images the boy on the bike is... well his on a bike, there could be motion blur there could be a slight out of focus etc. and shooting wide open is really demanding on the lens and at 6k I think it should not really be done if you are to peak in and look at pixels 1:1, there is no highspeed lens that holds up for such exam. Wide open is soft, it´s soft on master primes and its soft on every other lens I ever tested, the once that holds up the best wide open is the Sumilux C´s they are like madly sharp at 1:1 wide open. When shooting with them I, plenty of times, did not realize that I was zoomed in to 1:1 on the monitor and thought somebody swapped the lens as they looks so dam sharp in there so I did not even notice we where zoomed in :)

But thats not what goes on with other lenses they all pretty much start to glow, go soft and get cromatic aborations going as soon as you go to speedier stops.

but still difficult to know if you got something bad going with your camera. So to find out you need to go to Ljud och Bild and compare it with another dragon and leica Summilux -C´s then you know if it´s the lenses you use or the camera.

And again do not compare with cameras that has less pixel density as these things show more the higher pixel density you have even thought that does not mean that the dragon sensor does not hold up to others when looking at sensor size. In other words you can not compare a HD crop from dragon to a HD crop from alexa or a 1:1 from alexa vs dragon... you have to look at the alexa image at 2:1 (i.e zoomed in 200% into the pixels on the alexa to do a fair lens cromatic Astigmatism comparsion with dragon.

One could also say that these things increase with the smaller size of the optics. Or the smaller glass the more difficult to get them right, which is one reason masterprimes and the SummiluxC are not the smallest of lenses.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Those images are not 100% crop, they are screens from this video.

The boy is not moving, both shots are tripod shots with nonmoving subjects. The unfocus is because they aren't really in focus.
    Chromatic aberration is not the issue, I know lenses have it wide open, this is not an issue with the green/magenta fringe of CA, but the vertical and horizontal nature of the bokeh, especially close to the sharpness plane. It is noticeable in the videos, especially the one in the end on Vimeo. It's also not about lenses being unsharp at wide open, all lenses are, even the expensive ones, but this is about how all lenses behave the same, give the same awful looking smeared bokeh.

If I can't replicate this on another Dragon I will show exactly what I mean.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I've been doing tests with a Leica Summilux-C 65mm and I can say that this is an issue on all Dragon OLPFs, do not occur on the MX and is minimum on the LLO and maximum on the STH. Without an OLPF, there is no bokeh-smearing at all.
    I will post a thorough post in another post because it's not about getting help, but rather something that I think needs more attention.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I've been doing tests with a Leica Summilux-C 65mm and I can say that this is an issue on all Dragon OLPFs, do not occur on the MX and is minimum on the LLO and maximum on the STH. With an OLPF, there is no bokeh-smearing at all.
    I will post a thorough post in another post because it's not about getting help, but rather something that I think needs more attention.
    Interesting.

Banned
    i have the same problem with you,thanks Phil holland