Thread: diopter questions

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 diopter questions 
    Hey group,
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight to which diopters are recommended for pl lens? I bought a set of 138mm they are way too big to use with my cooke mini s4is. I could tape them to my matte box but I would love to hear how others are using them. Basically Im trying to be able to get some macro shots with them any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank
    directorjrsaint.com
    red dragon (el wapo)
    cooke mini s4i
    lomo 35mm nas and 50mm round front

You use them in the rear 138mm mount of your matte box.

Just like David said. However, I'll trade you my set of 77mm screw in tiffen diopters for your 138mms ;-)

Nick

I was going to make the same offer Nick.

The best ones I have ever used are the Zeiss digi diopters. These are 95mm. To use with the Cooke Mini's then I have used an adapter.

I prefer to use smaller lenses as a larger lens will be bigger & more likely to reflect in the product or cause shadows making lighting more difficult.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

I have a set of zeiss Digi-Diopters- best diopters I have ever used. Fit perfectly on our Leica Summicron'.

The Zeiss diopters work nicely on the Xenons too.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Love Diopters, but they must be Achromat or otherwise you'll never get good quality, but this are far more expensive, my 138mm are 2k+ each and very heavy.

The Master Diopters are fantastic 114mm and have used them a great deal, the Digi Diopters 95mm are newer design and coating but haven't used them.

There are few options to mount the 138mm via a specific holder which will set you back few thousands dollars but if you have lots of work on the 138mm diopters then it becomes no brainer, the use of them in the MB 138mm holder is not always practical or even possible depending on which 138mm Diopter you are using.

This one was designed by Optex, but there are couple of other options, again, this are for the heavy Achromat Diopters, and they do cost 2 to 3k... :)

There you are giving away secerets agan;-)

... The feedback I got from people at Zeiss, ARRI and Bandpro was that the digi-Diopters would not work well with other lenses (ranging from def not to not sure but think not). This did not make sense to me and I took a punt on a set to compliment a set of master-Diopters.

After a bit of testing I'd say that they are not quite as good from a sharpness POV as the master-Diopters (only common lenses in testing was Ultraprime) BUT their size makes them more usefull for any lens that is 95 fronted (or less).... My preference is wide and close and since 80% of the time there will be back light in there as well the digi-Diopters on a Ultraprime is just very very useful.. Why the master-diopter is as big as it is is beyond me..you need a reduction ring to put it on a Masterprimes and the large glass front just gets in the way and also often needs carefully masked off.

Now that Zeiss claim that they have a 'agile production line' they should start making Diopters again.. And while I am dreaming would sombody make a new set of macro lenses (95mm fronted or less)...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    The best ones I have ever used are the Zeiss digi diopters. These are 95mm. To use with the Cooke Mini's then I have used an adapter.

I prefer to use smaller lenses as a larger lens will be bigger & more likely to reflect in the product or cause shadows making lighting more difficult.

Banned
    same suggestion, You use them in the rear 138mm mount of your matte box.