Thread: Correction: Help me build a $2500-3500 computer

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    32GB is definitely the minimum for AE and where you want to be for Premiere. 64GB would offer longer ram preview playback before AE has to write to the disk cache. If you get 64GB I would suggest 8x8GB 2666 sticks at this point. The 16GB sticks at 2666 just released but they are for Dual Channel systems and may not work for Quad channel. Starting with 4TB black drives in raid 0 would be good to start with. Just make sure you have a solid backup process.

Haha that just might solve everything...if I am still going with 8GB 2666 sticks I could just buy 4 and then if I want/need the extra RAM add in the other 4 sticks later right? I was originally thinking I would have to re-buy it if I wanted to upgrade because I thought I would need 16GB sticks...

For backup drives do you usually use an external drive, like an external WD? Thanks again Eric!

Banned
    want to buy a excellent computer with cheap price wouldn't be easy

When you buy ram now and upgrade later you have to get the exact same model with the same primary timings ie 15 15 15 35 for example. Even then due to Dimm manufacturers changing chip manufacturers from 1 production run to the next or the stepping changing on the die, the ram from a later production may not work with the ram you bought earlier. However the Gskill ram I recommended has been relatively consistent comparatively to the other manufacturers so it works more than it doesn't. One key though is you have to make sure all of 1 kit is in slots A1, B1, C1, and D1 while the other kit goes into the 2 slots for A through D. I would suggest a USb3 docking station for external backup and using internal drives such as WD Black or Red. The drives put in the all in 1 packages are the highest power management cheap drives which also have a higher failure rate like the green drives. Just make sure you spin any hard drives up every 6 months to a year. If you dont the chance of failure or data corruption is extremely high due to the magnetic field starting to break down.