Thread: Suitable wireless transmitter for Directors Monitor Cage+smHD702

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I own an ikan rig like that.. The WC monitor cage is better for a few reasons, lots more mounting points, place for a vmount battery, and the cage is designed with 2 holes perfect for fitting onto a c-stand.
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Quinn View Post
    I own an ikan rig like that.. The WC monitor cage is better for a few reasons, lots more mounting points, place for a vmount battery, and the cage is designed with 2 holes perfect for fitting onto a c-stand.
    The cage is great, however, it's not so great with monitors like the 502/702 that don't have 1/4 20 thread mounting points on the top. You need that second mounting point or else the handle joints will easily work themselves loose and the whole rig will collapse.

If you search eBay, there are knock offs from India that look exactly the same and also include a V or AB mount at 1/3 of the price.

That's the one I use.

Looks like the Canons are 13Wh (1865mAh x 7.2V / 1000) while the Swits are 47Wh, so the Swits will last about 3 times as long. They're definitely bigger and bulkier, but way more useful with the additional DC output.

I ordered from B&H and saved $9 plus shipping (over ordering from Swit directly), but they only let me order two batteries at once, plus the dual charger, so I waited a week and ordered a third battery. I feel that's a minimum # of batteries to have in the kit for the monitor.

Unfortunately, I have similar Swit batteries for my TV Logic that I've had for a few years, but they're Panasonic CGA compatible and not Sony L, so I had to order more batteries for the Small HD 702. Same power flexibility concept though, and they've worked very well and last a long time.

As for the handles, I find the Ikan's to work well and are very flexible for mounting options, with lots of threaded and non-threaded holes. I don't use my monitors with V-mount batteries but can see your point. In the case of the Smal HD 702, V-mount isn't the best option because there's no DC-in jack, just Sony L or Canon LPE6 battery mounts. You could use a Canon-to-P-Tap adapter, of course. But the price on the Ikan handles is also really good -- $150.

I was thinking of getting one of those cages and the new recorder from BM and use it with one of our bolt receivers. But on the last shoot I was on they got the new teradek cube.... well I think the days are very much counted for these little screen as the director was walking around with his own little Ipad and had the cube app installed... Doing frame grabs etc and emailing to the girl handling the shot list and so on... Well no matter what config you put on that cage, it will as it seams have a hard time to keep up with a normal iphone in the near future.

I know good recording, longer battery life, more robust and so on... but still every one has an Iphone and the new cube, in difference to the older versions, did not seem to lag or disconnect as they used to. I tested them a few years back to find them useless, today thats all very different, I can not understand why the are not commonly used.

Our bolt on the other hand also get some strange connection issue with dragon and when jumping between framerates and such... fiddling back and forth with the SDI output and rebooting camera usually makes it reconnect but some it really does not want to do what it´s supposed to.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I was thinking of getting one of those cages and the new recorder from BM and use it with one of our bolt receivers. But on the last shoot I was on they got the new teradek cube.... well I think the days are very much counted for these little screen as the director was walking around with his own little Ipad and had the cube app installed... Doing frame grabs etc and emailing to the girl handling the shot list and so on... Well no matter what config you put on that cage, it will as it seams have a hard time to keep up with a normal iphone in the near future.

I know good recording, longer battery life, more robust and so on... but still every one has an Iphone and the new cube, in difference to the older versions, did not seem to lag or disconnect as they used to. I tested them a few years back to find them useless, today thats all very different, I can not understand why the are not commonly used.

Our bolt on the other hand also get some strange connection issue with dragon and when jumping between framerates and such... fiddling back and forth with the SDI output and rebooting camera usually makes it reconnect but some it really does not want to do what it´s supposed to.
    Hi Bjorn, I don't much about the teradek cube and using these to monitor with to an ipad.

Can the iPad (iPhone, what ever) store the footage, or is it just a live feed only?

Ie, can a director what an iPad, then scroll back to the start of the take for instance- like you can do if using a odyssey 7Q ? and store that days footage on the iPad? (in a compressed format)

cheers paul

Nick, how much range do you get on that thing? I'm so torn between a bolt 600 cinegears 300m and now this product you are showing looks really promising.. Any more info on this would be great, and yes I'm also selling a paralinx arrow + @@
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Matthew, I just got it recently. My test's which consisted of me walking through my shop with a monitor and the receiver showed no drop outs or hicups at all at around 100 feet. This was with the transmitter on a camera on a tripod in my shop. I walked out of my shop, 2x double layers of half inch sheet rock for walls, steel security doors, and around the basement of my building which is chopped up into different areas by chainlink cages. I didn't get any issues till I went up the ramp, out side, and closed the second steel door in the 2 foot thick brick wall behind me. One nice thing about this unit, is that it picks up it's signal really quickly. It doesn't futz around and need to reacquire or whatever. The past two day I have had it at video village while the camera is on a dolly on a stage. working great so far. I really like it. If I were you, I'd try and rent one for a day or two. Build quality seems good, battery life on sony NP batteries seems pretty good.

Nick

Banned
    i have 1 set of wireless tansmitter and receiver,which is better than Teradek bolt Pro300,pls watch the test video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kabEZ-hObpQ

Last edited by July Morgan; 11-02-2015 at 02:06 AM.

Hey Bjorn! That's an awesome use-case of the Cube. The Cube has absolutely seen a great amount of improvement since the beginning. In fact the next iteration we announced at IBC will be even quicker, stronger WiFi with a new 802.11ac chip and it'll even have HDMI and SDI in.

It is weird that you're seeing some oddities in your Bolt system. When's the last time you did a firmware upgrade? If you still can't seem to figure it out, give me a DM and we'll figure it out.
    We just released this video where this company Faceware captures the Bolt's signal straight from camera to a Ki Pro for final composition. Their recent project was capturing JGL's face in 'The Walk,' but they're also doing a lot in the video game space as well. Pretty neat! https://vimeo.com/141773937