Thread: Rethinking Adobe Pricing Model

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    The only real difference is having a version you are left with should you decide to buy a perpetual license. Subscription only is the same for Avid and Adobe. Price wise, Avid perpetual + 1 year (2 years total) is the same as 6.6 years of Premiere Pro (just the NLE) price wise before any specials or offers from either company. Arguably you can run two versions of Premiere Pro depending on how you define a work system or home system and doesn't seem to be something Adobe really cracks down on.

It's a whole new way of looking at things and is the way the industry is moving in general.

Michael
    That one difference is kind of big in my opinion, but I agree that it's the way it's going. I just like the idea that I always own a version so if all hell breaks loose I can still work. It's really not the actual price that I'm wrestling with. $50/month if you're running a small, but busy shop is not a big deal, but being reliant on a subscription in order for the software to work could be. I know there are grace periods and it's not like they shut you down the day after you don't pay but I think I just like the other model.

One other thing that concerns me is the tentacles into the editing systems. I feel like the Adobe stuff is very active with its under the hood systems. Also i like aligning specific versions/revs of software with specific OS, drivers. I feel like that's not as easy with CC.
    Steve Sherrick

I agree it can be a big difference - to me it is no longer really about competitive products, but a war of seats. By that I mean once a manufacturer has a "seat" they can sell other offerings and services - the NLE in this case can almost be considered loss leader. Avid's whole Marketplace strategy and revenue based on that is very dependent on having the number of seats attached to make that a viable revenue stream. It works well for Pro Tools as it is the dominant platform in music and audio post, and it's plug-in architecture is actually the better one (number of platforms aside). For Media Composer, AVX is not the better plug-in architecture and third parties need to budget for development and QA for what is most likely the smallest of seat counts compared to Adobe and Apple. It's an interesting Catch 22 for third party developers. And the Avid Marketplace does not really exist yet despite mention of it since NAB 2014. I suspect it will come with the release of Media Composer|First.

There is also a potential penalty for not renewing your MC support on a yearly basis - while you can choose to not update because you are good - should you want to get back onto the plan you are paying for a new perpetual license or you go on the monthly plan. Your previous perpetual license will still work as long as it can, but you now have two licenses; one old, one new. And if you are a dongle kind of user, of which many are, that dongle is also frozen in time. If you want to keep using a dongle, that is an additional $500 for a new one.

And from the seat strategy side, Adobe really wants to get everyone on the everything CC rather than just a single product. They do have the photo package bundle since the vast majority of their user base is from graphics and design which feeds all their back end web analytic business. But they have all the tools to connect the video world into that every shifting OTT world for content owners. But on the video side, many of us use/need Photoshop and After Effects, and once you get to any three monthly subscriptions it is cheaper to just get it all. I know I have used Illustrator and Indesign for creating Sell Sheets, web design to promote video productions, clean up audio with Audition etc. Independent production is not just editorial as you know. And that is their sweet spot market. After all these years Avid still cannot field a MC/Pro Tools combo price. They can't even be launched at the same time, and install order matters.

Brave new world. I edit with MC, dailies and finish with Resolve, but use a bunch of Adobe tools as well as mentioned. Both Adobe and Avid are fine with users having both. But if it came down to only either one, that is a different discussion depending on market being served, budget, etc.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

We've definitely entered the Jack-of-all-trades era. So, Adobe certainly has the most complete tool set if you want to do it all. And I don't think the subscription pricing is too high. It's actually very affordable all things considered. I think my only complaints are no options for perpetual licence and the extent to which the Manager software seems to operate in the background.

I agree with you about Avid and Pro Tools. I'm shocked there is no bundle there and that there are still issues with co-existence. Those 2 should be soul mates living in perfect harmony at this point. I also think the effects side of Avid can be improved upon. I'll certainly be keeping the 3 A's running simultaneusly for a while. Photoshop is the one I feel like I have a decent replacement for but AE, not yet.
    Steve Sherrick

I can pay the monthly fee with less than an hour's billable work. That seems to be a good deal to me for basically every piece of software they make. Even if I don't use 60% of it. It would be nice to make a "Video Production Bundle" like they did in the past for less with the main video/graphics apps, but there is so much crossover nowadays they will always get someone complaining about this or that app not being included. So, they said "here! take 'em all, dammit!"

still, all adobe apps = >1 hour edit time. for what I make on them, I think its fair.

not complaining about price as indicated earlier.
    Steve Sherrick

Our whole shop switched to ADOBE (Mainly cause Erik Espera works there now) Erik was pretty instrumental in bringing the RED Community together in the Sacramento / San Francisco Bay Area. Erik currently and has been working for ADOBE Corporation for some time now.
    Joseph Arthur
    Off-Reservation ( feathers, not dots )

Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in owning my assets - not renting them. Especially the assets I need to use on regular basis (in this case daily). As Steve said - it is not about the price. Indeed - I have spent much more per year when I consider I have always purchased the Master Collection outright with every new release (OK, I admit on skipping the 5.5). But I own it. And I know I can keep using it whenever and wherever I need / want. I am still on CS6 for that very reason...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Is there a way to outright buy the Adobe programs? onlyone we dont have are the CS4 versions (which i will never update) and everything else is on subscription. Except Adobe Captivate (which is software for training and it makes tests for our native language program, alot of our new filming is filming our Native Languages at the tribe.
    Joseph Arthur
    Off-Reservation ( feathers, not dots )

I don't have an issue with the prices, just the quality of the updates and the amount of bugs. They need to up their game quickly or they will lose subscribers.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    I don't have an issue with the prices, just the quality of the updates and the amount of bugs. They need to up their game quickly or they will lose subscribers.
    ^ This
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"