Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Build 16 ISOs...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Sorry but I still didn't get your point.

Do you mean by changing the T stops, working wide open, you change the resolving power of your optic and therefore you change the resolution...?

Or is this really realted to, and only to ISO?
    That's what I understood but it looks as it has got more to do with using the stops sitting more to the right?

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    The "sweet spot" of the RED ONE is 320-500 ISO. You will get the most resolution between these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    We don't choose to do this... it is the nature of the sensor. A sensor has a "native" ISO. Push too far in either direction and face the consequences. It happens in steps. ISO 2000 is noisier than ISO 1000. And ISO 125 is softer than ISO 250.

Jim
    Oh no, I meant why would I choose to shoot 100 ISO instead of dropping an ND if there is a resolution loss :) I know you wouldn't choose for your camera to do that!

And also if there is little difference in lattitude, do you mean above and below 18% gray I have the same number of stops of detail. Or is it moving from blacks to highlights.

Ian

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Nelson View Post
    Does changing the ISO in camera still strictly a meta data with absolutely no permanent changing?

For instance: bright sunny day, I've forgotten my NDs and I'm closed all the way down and the sky is over 108 IRE (purple on the false color), if I change the ISO from 320 down to say, 100, will that cause any extra data to be recorded (and thus, not clipped) than if I had stayed at 320?

Another scenario: street corner at night, we got a 2.5k when we should have gotten a 4k. We're shooting at 320iso with the lens WFO. If I change to 1000iso so I can see what I am doing, will that introduce more noise than if I had shot at 320 and bumped in post?
    Clipping is caused by your actual exposure, not the metadata or viewing ISO. If proper exposure is T5.6 at ISO 500 but you view that at ISO 2000, when you open the image in RED Alert!, the metadata will show it at ISO 2000 (too bright). Just reset to ISO 500 (your actual exposure) and it will look right.

With Build 16, if you keep your viewing ISO and shooting ISO the same (as most of us do)... WYSIWYG.

Jim

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by ibloom View Post
    Oh no, I meant why would I choose to shoot 100 ISO instead of dropping an ND if there is a resolution loss :) I know you wouldn't choose for your camera to do that!

And also if there is little difference in lattitude, do you mean above and below 18% gray I have the same number of stops of detail. Or is it moving from blacks to highlights.

Ian
    You are on the right track. You would want to drop in an ND and choose 320 or 500 instead of ISO 100 (at least I would). But if you didn't have an ND, you still can operate with a small resolution hit (assuming you did not want to change your shutter speed).

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Your meter will match your monitor which will match the image when you open in RED Alert! (or REDCINE).
    And Log & Transfer in FCP? Will it match?

TIA,

Uli

7. #27 A legit 320 sounds great to me 
    To paraphrase MacGregor the best way to get a flatter, more 35mm negative style shoulder for the top end when shooting the RedOne is to under-expose in acquisition and then redistribute values in post. If you set your ISO to 500 or 640 AND adjust your exposure to avoid clipping then the only significant limit to your DR will be noise tolerance when you lift the bottom end. If the noise characteristics of B16 are as good as the Red Leader is touting then the useable latitude of the RedOne should increase.

Really looking forward to shooting with B16, thanks to the Red Team for all their hard work. The noise seems less harsh in the B16 samples. In some shots there is meaningful content in Zones 2 & 3 which have been the toughest to work with in recent builds, especially with lower Kelvin temperature sources.

8. #28 REDspace? 
    Jim, can you tell us more about REDspace?

Thanks, Laco

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laco Zamba View Post
    Jim, can you tell us more about REDspace?

Thanks, Laco
    You will like it... :-)

Jim

You will like it... :-)

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by ibloom View Post
    Or is Redspace, as I suspect, just beautiful women with bubble helmets and mylar bikinis, orbiting slowly around one another in zero-g.
    Yet another theory of mine has been confirmed.

IBloom