Thread: RED Weapon 8K - Lens Coverage Information

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thank you for putting all this together! I'm quite happy to see the CP.2 seem to have no issues with the 8K Weapon.
    Philip Lima
    DP
    www.phillima.com
    2X Woven Carbon Weapons
    1x Scarlet MX

Okay, back home now. Typo fixed.

A couple of other personal notes as I'm a bit familiar with the glass many might end up using for 8K.

First, if you are considering 65mm or Medium Format lenses, of course those are expected to cover. The focus here was lenses converted to hard PL mounts as the light out of the exit pupil and how it played with the diameter of the PL mount is a consideration. So far, so good however. I will say on some larger format glass that flare and glare is a bigger concern. So flag, stop down, or matte box appropriately. Again, depends on the design.

As for FF35 glass. There's a lot of lenses. And I mean a lot. And worse there's odd variations and levels of quality control. So there will be a good deal to test. There's about 250 lenses I can think of that will be worth investigating. Much like 6K with Super 35mm designed glass, it's a fair to say longer lenses are expected to do well. Essentially 35mm and up. But so far it looks like modern glass has been over designed to play well enough for 8K, which is great news! Do remember, on 8K FF a what is wide for you on Super 35mm is more likely close to or actually an ultra wide. When I tested the Zeiss 15mm T2.9 I was freaked out because it's insanely wide angle, essentially the HFOV of a 9mm rectilinear lens on Super 35mm if you think about it. And perhaps that will be one of the allures of this particular format as there's so much range and glass that works with it. Ultra wide through telephoto. And not just that, but a heap of specialty lenses like macros, tilt shift, etc. And there's newer glass on the horizon in the next two year to boot.

As for vignetting concerns, well yes, those are real. Especially on some wides and ultra wides. Some of those suckers dip 4 stops in the corners and edges on FF35. It will depend greatly on the design. The Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 wide open comes to mind.

Remember, RED Weapon 8K is a multi-format system. Meaning 8K, 7.5K, 7K, 6.5K, 6K, 5.5K, 5K, 4.5K, 4K, etc... are available to you as well as the various aspect ratios. If you are working in a world of 8K HD (16x9) for instance, that require less coverage that 8K FF, which is 1.9:1. And if you are finishing for 4K, the world is your oyster when it comes to capture formats and resolutions. Similar to how 5K FF and 5.5K HD have been my jam for 6K RED Epic Dragon and RED Weapon 6K on many productions I think you'll see a lot of people hitting up 7K FF and 7.5K HD for certain things. If you are finishing 8K however, 8K FF, 2:1, WS, and/or HD are your targets.

As for anamorphic testing, yep, that will be done too. Personally I'd expect the news to be generally good for 8K 6:5 2X Anamorphic projects, though the format size in height exceeds the Super 35mm standard. But damn, I can't wait to see some images from that high resolution and slightly larger format 2X anamorphic format. It's gonna be juicy.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This is some fantastic news! How do the images look coming off the sensor Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Grimm View Post
    This is some fantastic news! How do the images look coming off the sensor Phil?
    Bigger than life :)

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Bigger than life :)
    Wonderful:)

I think the cp2 18mm only covers aps-h
    Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

The Southwest
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lancaster View Post
    Ah. Corrected. Previous notes indicate 5.5K FF if I'm not mistaken.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lancaster View Post
    The optics themselves should cover FF. But it's my understanding it's the CP2 HOUSING that causes vignetting/coverage issues no?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere but does anyone know if the weapon OLPF’s will need to be replaced after the 8k upgrade? I need to decide whether to just get the standard with my weapon upgrade or the package of all three which gives some discount. Any advice appreciated.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Thanks for another great resource!

BTW, pretty disappointed to see the Zeiss CZ.2's not cover 8k FF cleanly throughout the range. I thought that was one of the major selling points of the set?
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."