Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 8K Weapon: The New Super Sensor

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Thank you for the giving us a professional fresh first look at 8K as well as being an excellent ambassador for the industry.

Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    Nicely done Michael. It would also be useful to note which OLPF was in your camera for this project...

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Finally a truly sane voice through all these resolution brawls, good job!
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cioni View Post
    Ansel Adams shot large format and no one has ever said, "His images look too sharp!" On the contrary, Adams' images look smoother, cleaner, and multi-dimensional because they were super samples. These are the creative words I think people will begin to use when describing what they see while shooting Weapon 8K.
    What you describe as "super samples" process usually implies taking a higher resolution image, like in this particular case an 8K Bayered image and downsampling it to UHD or 4K. By doing so you do end up with resulting image of higher quality.
    On the other hand, I'm a bit puzzled about your example of the importance of super samples with use of large format photography by Ansel Adams. Like many other fine art photographers, he had used a 5x7 or 8x10 view cameras, resulting in the same size negatives. Most of his prints are in the neighborhood of 30x40 all the way to 40x60. I believe, those viewers visceral reactions to Ansel Adams images you're describing, actually derive from the superior MTF response from large format viewing camera photographic process and not from super sampling. In my opinion, super sampling doesn't come into play in this particular example, as the image actually end up being much bigger in size unlike the process of downsampling an 8k to 4k you describing. The equivalent process to the one you're describing would be for Ansel Adams to dupe his 8x10 negative to say medium format negative and then print from that. That wold be an example of super sample.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Thanks for sharing this Michael, this is a remarkable camera. I would like to know what OLPF you used ( I am guessing the Standard ) and also are we seeing a first light grade or a complete grade? Thank you.

So great to have you share your perspective here on Reduser Michael. Wonderful stuff!

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Just bloody brilliant. Thanks so much Michael for the write up and for a great look at 8K.

Just watched this on my retina screen.
    Increadible experience! DoF is amazing!

Fantastic. As usual in Michael's very eloquent voice... you almost hear him talk again 

Safari / iOS Link: https://vimeo.com/153200176

Old large format lenses aren't that sharp, there's no need for that with a big negative. Field camera guys had to get new sharper "digital lenses" when they started using digital backs.