Thread: fujinon cabrio 20-120

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Hello Christopher, I only shoot nature/landscape from a slider, tripod etc. Hikes to remote places. So I need a lens with high resolving power for those wide landscape shots with lots of details. And a zoom lens that will sit on the camera all the time :)
    Love that 6x zoom on that Fuji 20–120. In that price range it is unbeatable! And I want that lens cover 8K HD but It has only 28.5mm image circle while Zeiss LWZ.3 has 31.1mm and that covers 8K HD beautifully :)

And yes Canon 17-120 is a beast but almost the price of Fuji 19-90 a that is too expensive for me.
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

I ve just seen some Sigma Cine High Speed 18-35 Zoom test on Epic-W at 8K HD and that lens covers Helium 8K HD at 35mm no problem. Sigma Cines are 28.4mm circle while 20-120 is 28.5mm. So I guess that Fuji will be ok somewhere around 30mm but I'll wait for the photos. Would love to buy Fuji 20-120 instead of Zeiss because of T3.5 aperture through the whole zoom range and that manual back focus adjustment is amazing!

Dear Karel Šimůnek :

Here we go...

First of all, please be aware that this IS NOT A CAM/LENS TEST.

It is just a quick grab of frames put together per your request, to quickly see lens coverage.

The Information Redcine-X "burned-in" (bottom left and right) is not completely accurate (seems like Redcine reads the first frame and apply that value to the whole export, instead of reading the metadata from each frame and burn it to that rendered frame specifically. Maybe it can be done correctly, but I don't know how)

Please note that REDCINE X gave me a lot of bad rendered frames, but because I know it does not affect what you are trying to analyze, I didn't spend time trying to fix it.

You always can download the original R3D files and look at them (those are fine). Also you can check contrast and resolution accurately on the R3D's files.

Also, the R3D's files have all the lens info as metadata, so you can know frame by frame, the "Focus-Iris-Zoom" status of the lens on each particular frame.

On the "Prep Room" footage, I started at 20mm, then zoom in to 120mm, then panned left to right.

On the "Grey Wall" footage, I started at 20mm, then zoom in to 120mm slowly and then a second run at full speed. Camera was locked down.

Link to Video: https://vimeo.com/346452518

Link to R3D Files: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/8rT7Rvvt7d

Link to Legend: Legend.jpg

Some Info:

RED DSMC2 Helium (Build: 7.2)
    Fujinon XK20-120mm T3.5 Cabrio Premier PL with servo (SN:7040252)
    T-Stop: 3.5
    Resolution:8K
    Sensor Modes: FF / 2:1 / WS / HD / 3:2
    FPS: 23.976
    Shutter: 180 degrees
    WB: 2895K // Tint -22.105
    Project Canvas: 8192x4320

Cheers!!!!

G.
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting

Hello Gaston,

I'm speechless. You did a fantastic job thank you so much for your time! :) It's way mooooore than I wanted. Really thank you. Can't find this test anywhere on the internet.
    Now I see that this lens is usable only in 8K HD which is fine for me, On my Scarlet I shot only in HD modes but than you have to crop it to 2.39:1 format to get UltraHD widescreen from 8K. So cant use it for 16:9 aspect ratio and make 4KHD from 8KHD.
    So for Helium sensor only lenses with 31mm image circles.

So I guess they managed constant aperture T3.5 with this lens only because they made it 28.5mm and not 31.5mm like 19-90.

That optical vignetting is visible on that white wall but not on real world shot (prep room)

Thank you very much from your time again, Gaston
    You helped me a lot with my decision

Downloading your R3D and gonna play with them :)

Karel

Hi there:

I'm glad it helped!!!

I encourage you to load the R3D files in Redcine-X and make notes on "at what focal lengths you start vignetting" (depending on what's acceptable for you), for each sensor mode.

Reduser Lens Data.jpg

FYI: Any mode in 7K, lens cover perfect at every focal length / iris / focus.

Cheers!

G
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting