Thread: Is this the forum for NAB 2016?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not all companies are playing close to the vest. Filmlight already made two big announcements.
    The first one should be of the interest to the production crowd.

FilmLight adds free Mac app for on-set color decisions.
    FilmLight introduces Prelight, a freely licensed Mac OS X application designed to help DoPs and other professional creatives to author and review looks in pre-production and on-set.
    http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/pr...our-decisions/

The second is geared more toward the post users.

FilmLight’s Baselight 5.0 extends HDR grading capabilities.
    Developed for Baselight 5.0 is the Base Grade, which accurately mimics the way the eye appreciates colour. Providing an instinctive and predictable response to image adjustment controlled by base, exposure and tint, the new operator is the natural choice for grading HDR images. Exposure zones can be adjusted independently without compromising the overall balance of the image. Base Grade introduces a more photographic approach to colour grading, with exposure stops and printer lights representing accurately what a DoP would expect to see.
    http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/pr...-capabilities/
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I'm starting my Monday morning at the RED booth as soon as I get into the convention center...

A lot of companies seem quiet this year. And I think it has to do with overreaching in 2015. I'm not singling out RED here at all and I think RED is doing a great job, other than the slow pace of getting the 8K sensors out. And that has to be killing them. But I'm waiting on a lot of toys I ordered last year still. Probably won't be so anxious pre-order a lot this year.

I'd love to see RED enter the still camera game. Or the compact wearable market. Or perhaps the VR market. I'm still not so sure about the VR stuff. Still feels too much like a gimmick to me and I think the tech as a lot of maturing to do before it becomes more than a fad.
    I know what you mean about VR. I read up a bit about the new support coming in Adobe, and know YouTube has had some interesting 360 video options, but still wondering where that will go with video in the short term.
    Epic-M #1169
    Visit us at www.jdfnet.com

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Not all companies are playing close to the vest. Filmlight already made two big announcements.
    The first one should be of the interest to the production crowd.

FilmLight adds free Mac app for on-set color decisions.
    FilmLight introduces Prelight, a freely licensed Mac OS X application designed to help DoPs and other professional creatives to author and review looks in pre-production and on-set.
    http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/pr...our-decisions/

The second is geared more toward the post users.

FilmLight’s Baselight 5.0 extends HDR grading capabilities.
    Developed for Baselight 5.0 is the Base Grade, which accurately mimics the way the eye appreciates colour. Providing an instinctive and predictable response to image adjustment controlled by base, exposure and tint, the new operator is the natural choice for grading HDR images. Exposure zones can be adjusted independently without compromising the overall balance of the image. Base Grade introduces a more photographic approach to colour grading, with exposure stops and printer lights representing accurately what a DoP would expect to see.
    http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/pr...-capabilities/
    thanks for posting this, going to check this out!
    Epic-M #1169

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Apffel View Post
    Ill be there. It'll be good to catch up James!
    Awesome!! See you there weds/thurs!
    Epic-M #1169

I wonder what Red will be introducing. With Raven and Scarlet-W being so new and 8k trickling out, I don't expect them to announce a new sensor this year.

I am excited to see the side handle in person. Also want to check out the EVF. Would love to see a next generation motion mount. One that supports 8k and maybe less light loss, if that is possible. Or something that would allow electronic ND. I miss adjusting ND with the rocker on the slide handle. Now I have to go old school and use actual filters. What are we, cavemen? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Blackstone

Thank you for sharing. The HDR feature(s) sound intriguing. BTW, look forward to meeting you at the colorist mixer on Sunday.

@ Jake Blackstone, RE: Flimlight. I took your advice sometime back and spent a few weekends of my personal time with Baselight for NUKE. It is a phenomenal color grading platftorm. We've been able to get a few licenses in the VFX suites. The free license Baselight Edition is cool approach as it limits the need to buy a license for every single Nuke workstation. But still allowing us build our projects that can read and render with the current grade. Our workflow has improved measurably. Our company provides VFX and graphics for the medical and pharmaceutical industry. We are currently investigating deploying Baselight with our vendors for a quicker, more accurate feedback and delivery loop.

For those that are going this year - Some random questions:

+) LASER projector : Can someone ask Red the DATE by which they'll make an annuncement if this will Never see the 'light of day? Better to close the book, rather than leave the chapter open and leave people dangling. If there is a date - then at least people would know if this still be under consideration.

+) I was surprised that that Wireless in the weapon didn't use a 802.11N or 802.11AC chipset ... but 802.11G . Can someone ask if they they're thinking of switching so that we can get more detailed wireless histogram data, and at a much greater range. ..And if they have any thoughts on 60GHZ wireless output for uncompressed wireless video output.

+) Mobile XL Battery charger : Will they ever make one the size of the tiny PAG charger? What about a Forged or Magnesium XL Module? Are they planning to create new XL batteries that have the sort of energy density that the PAG Slim 90's have?

+) Motion mount 8k? Any tech advances that could mean less minimum light lost? (EDIT : just saw Stacey's Q on this above!)

+) Any motorised lenses in REDs future?

EDIT: Looks like RED Have answered the V-Lock Battery question!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Thanks,
    AJ
    Last edited by Antony Newman; 04-15-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Motion Mount update

Anyone looking to split a room this year? Was coming from Los Angeles, probably won't stay long

Does someone know if Arri is coming with "something" this year? A new sensor or a new camera?

Did anybody see the teaser photo of Red's new battery Jarred posted on Facebook? Perfect fit with the new bodies. He didn't mention specs.