Thread: Anyone see the new Canon 18-80 announced today?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    its a nice focal range and size but the speed sucks unfortunately.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

Saw that today. Last month I shot a 4 day fashion runway event. The first day I tried holding focus at f2.8/f3.5 (failed mostly as I couldn't time the walks perfectly). By the 4th day I ended up sticking to f8/f9.1 to ensure I was in focus the whole show. Thinking back today I would have loved to use this lens on the Scarlet. Super shallow DOF is overrated sometimes.

At the very least let's hope that this prompts some of the other companies to come out with similar priced options

Once full frame doc shooters realise that T4 is a reasonable compromise, they may be drawn toward UHDTV 2/3 inch lenses and adapters.
    Pricey at moment though...
    The 18-80 isn't a bad drone lens, tricky focus using T1.8 at 80mm on a drone.
    $5k doesn't raise the blood pressure too much:)
    Mike Brennan

Adapting b4 to super35 and FF would eat a lot of light, you'd be stuck with like F8 or smaller I'd imagine? The glass would have to be immaculate too. Doesn't sound like it would be very cheap.

Where as for $5000, this is a t4.4 IS s35 zoom ready to shoot. Makes sense to me :D

Props to Canon, this looks like the "kit" lens for owner/ops the market has sorely needed. I agree that T4.4 will be a PITA in many docco situations. That said, being lightweight counts and the deeper stop will only make it easier to pull focus in unpredictable situations. Moreover, listing the things this lens isn't ideal for is missing the point. Light enough for many gimbals and drones, easier to balance vs the front heavy nature of most handheld rigs sporting much weightier glass, etc.

I also think it could boost Raven and Scarlet-W sales to folks who might have had their budget busted by the cost of lensing for an S35-ish sensor. Yes, they could go with stills lenses, but for a lot of everyday shooting situations the producer expects the shooter to be on a zoom. Just sayin'

Cheers - #19

7. #17 I was thinking the same thing! 
    When I read this announcement I was thinking that this would be a great lens for the Raven as well. What's interesting is that the lens has built in ND filters.

Last edited by Brian Sullivan; 04-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sullivan View Post
    When I read this announcement I was thinking that this would be a great lens for the Raven as well. What's interesting is that the lens has built in ND filters.

it does? where does it say that?

T4.4 actually makes it a total deal-breaker for run n' gun docs. That's just too slow when you have unpredictable lighting conditions. I understand why you guys say it's good for the price point, but the reality is that more often than not, productions that can only afford a $5000 lens are usually the productions that most need fast lenses, because they usually can't afford adequate lighting packages or professional DI work.

I agree that this lens could be most useful for live events that have plenty of light, like sports.
    Julio Quintana
    www.juliomquintana.com

EPIC-X DRAGON #560

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Quintana View Post
    T4.4 actually makes it a total deal-breaker for run n' gun docs. That's just too slow when you have unpredictable lighting conditions. I understand why you guys say it's good for the price point, but the reality is that more often than not, productions that can only afford a $5000 lens are usually the productions that most need fast lenses, because they usually can't afford adequate lighting packages or professional DI work.

I agree that this lens could be most useful for live events that have plenty of light, like sports.
    Agreed. 2.8 is the slowest I'd go on something like this for doc run and gun work, personally. Even that can be a stretch in low light situations sometimes.