Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Obsolescence...

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    I don't know Eric.

And as to your point that people on REDuser are naive about how cameras are made, they are not naive about how cameras are used.

As for an 80 MP Stills-only (for all practical purposes) camera? That's niche to put it as politely as I can.
    Reviewing Elsie's post.

Elsie uses the generic term "people" that covers sub groups of some people. However, he did use it to apply to people not.being niave about how cameras are used, which sort of reads like everybody. However, I can testify there are seemingly a bunch of people that are naive about how cameras are made (though I can't speak for the rest of them, though it is likely they are too). There are also a bunch of low quantity engineers that appear to be niave about how cameras can.be made too. I am aware of low volume production, but I come from a background seeking to do large production run products going into the millions and hundreds of millions, and there are people I knew looking at billions to trillions frankly, of internet of things, where things change drastically again concerning manufacturing and handling. People around here might often just have no idea of costs, where even a parallel processing chip costs less than a single pin on the chip package to produce (frankly I want to review those costings as I think they are wrong and including other costs into it that are there to support the function of the processor, so that the second pin will be much less extra costs, and the cost of the first pin maybe not much more than other viable alternatives of the day (you might have been able to use a form of induction, but very limited, and it simple shifts cost of chip to the interface etc, but optical might be one option in future Etc etc etc). So, a hand made 4k raw digital camera, which is ridiculous, because it means making even thing by hand really, including the chips and materials. So you are going to have a machine to assemble the components on board because they are too fiddly, but it might cost whatever, say 10x more than an automated assembly line. But then that equipment has to be paid for which costs more in small numbers than I'm large numbers, and so it goes. So instead of a ridiculous times difference to do absolutely everything by hand (including the chips) you can get very low costs on a large production run. But hundreds or thousands of unit are much more costly to setup for than.millions. Sorry, I am having health related troubles forming my writing at this moment (this is the last bit I am writing).

He says 80mp is niche, in context, for the types of things done by people around here at the moment it may be.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Wayne, I have no idea how it differs but it does. This has been tested in the courts time and time again I would imagine.

A professor of mine once said Your rights end where another person's nose begins. '-)
    You imagine Elsie, but that doesn't mean it has been tested. A right maybe claimed, but until it is tested to the top level it can't be completely certain. So such rulings on limitations of the application of free speech would prove it, as long as it cross applied (another test). Too much law.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Yes! Time to "Dive" into a water housing unit then... Pumped on this Jared and thanks team!
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    l (snip) Well I literally grew up in the film industry but I think I have a different perspective than some of how technology is adopted. (snip)
    As far as "Obsolescence Obsolete" idea... Of course it's completely insane, BUT you know what, RED actually does an amazing job of that and "They" really DON"T have to do that; its a CHOICE they made to serve their user base (as best they can). There is no other reason to do that. How you achieve that practically is VERY difficult. IMO they have really gone WAY above and beyond the call of duty on that one... AND (as some have pointed out) it costs them a LOT of money to do that or attempt to provide for that "Idea"; which is what it is... An Idea, rather than something that "plumps up" the bottom line. [/B]
    Well said sir. Making a kick ass camera system that, IMO, has accelerated the pace of motion camera advancement 3X vs the preceding 10 years (when the entrenched vendors dribbled out advancements primarily to make older hardware obsolete faster) - AND - at the same time, operated with the ethic Eric aptly notes - that's frakkin' amazeballs. Just sayin'

Cheers - #19