Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Obsolescence...

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Are you serious?
    Sergio, there is a very big difference in coming into the game at your stage and at the time I came into it. You were not promised anything with regards to your investment whereas the original core element of first RED One owners were sold into the idea that they would be buying into a future proof acquisition model. As one of the first 1000 to put my cash down in 2006 yes, I am deadly serious. I didn't then and I don't now knock RED in the product, what they have done is pretty awesome. I do however belong to a club of folks left with a somewhat unsavoury taste in our mouths having been sold on one premise to then be told a few years down the line to pay (through the nose) to keep up, or adios.

Alas, I see my post was struck from the thread so there is no point in expecting well mannered, well intended conversations unless both sides of the discussion are accepted.
    Last edited by Marc Thorpe; 08-29-2016 at 01:54 AM.
    S E A W I L D E A R T H

"It's all Mother Nature's fault, she radicalised me at an early age"

"Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed... We simply need that Wild country available to us, even if we do nothing more than drive to its edge, and peer in" -
    Wallace Stegner.

Your post is missing but I doubt it was deleted purposefully. There have been way more strident complaints here than yours and I have never seen one deleted. Bit of a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Thorpe View Post
    Alas, I see my post was struck from the thread so there is no point in expecting well mannered, well intended conversations unless both sides of the discussion are accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Your post is missing but I doubt it was deleted purposefully. There have been way more strident complaints here than yours and I have never seen one deleted. Bit of a head scratcher.
    No, I think it was purposeful. Our First Amendment isn't recognized internationally.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I think we have done a pretty great job upholding to Jim's original Obsolescence Obsolete mantra by moving our customers along both our evolutionary and revolutionary updates via our incredible upgrade program.

The DSMC2 camera brain really lets us extend this to a whole new level. Moving the connectors off of the main brain allows us to continuously grow with technology as they present themselves. It also allows us and 3rd parties to really extend our cameras by accommodating complete customization never before offered in this industry. XLR, Mini Jack, Min XLR, Line level, Mic Level, no audio, 1 sdi, 2 sdi, 6 sdi, HDMi no HDMI, PL mount Canon Mount, XPL, etc. etc. etc. Doesn't matter which flavor of connectors you prefer or which wireless devices you desire there is an opportunity if we don't make it, one of our great 3rd parties partners can.

I am not sure if this actually matters to any of you, but I am comfortable making a commitment right now that the DSMC2 form factor will stay the same until at least 2020.

This should give our customers some reassurance that they have some longevity in their purchases and also relieves some anxiety from our 3rd parties investing in manufacturing new bits for our cameras. There is of course some incredible new sensors and will be incredible new ASICS and internal boards that will greatly expand your cameras along the way, and of course our customers will be able to upgrade to those as they materialize through our upgrade program. But all of you can feel good about getting used to what your Raven/Scarlet-w/Weapon looks like in front of you.

There will be exceptions.. we will have some special cameras for special applications and we will continue to make some unique cameras for special customers like we always have.

At any rate, This is one of those internal discussions that probably should of stayed internal but It seems like it just might make for a good discussion.

Thank you all.

"I am not sure if this actually matters to any of you, but I am comfortable making a commitment right now that the DSMC2 form factor will stay the same until at least 2020. "

For US/we/I that was and IS HUGE... !

To me that's one of the things that impressed us the most was the thought that went into the design to have a form factor that would endure. We principally purchased the Scarlets so we could nail down the form factor for EPIC on UP for more advanced applications so that we could design specialized complimentary equipment and associated processes [I can't tell you how jazzed we were that Scarlet (in the end) turned out to be a "Slow" Epic] . At least I feel vindicated as some of our development partners were from time to time being rather fickle or easily distracted by what's immediately "New" from the "Others"... I am/really glad we stay the course.

Anyway... hat off to good and mature design that will endure. When you get it right you KNOW you've got it right. I would draw a parallel to the enduring nature of the Hasselblad form factor; well thought out good design does endure and serve well into the future. In my bones I know that RED has a real feel for that.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    "I am not sure if this actually matters to any of you, but I am comfortable making a commitment right now that the DSMC2 form factor will stay the same until at least 2020. "

For US/we/I that was and IS HUGE... !

To me that's one of the things that impressed us the most was the thought that went into the design to have a form factor that would endure. We principally purchased the Scarlets so we could nail down the form factor for EPIC on UP for more advanced applications so that we could design specialized complimentary equipment and associated processes [I can't tell you how jazzed we were that Scarlet (in the end) turned out to be a "Slow" Epic] . At least I feel vindicated as some of our development partners were from time to time being rather fickle or easily distracted by what's immediately "New" from the "Others"... I am/really glad we stay the course.

Anyway... hat off to good and mature design that will endure. When you get it right you KNOW you've got it right. I would draw a parallel to the enduring nature of the Hasselblad form factor; well thought out good design does endure and serve well into the future. In my bones I know that RED has a real feel for that.
    I actually had a different thought when I read that... thinking that things change so fast these days that the current form factor will be--dare I say it--obsolete by twenty-twenty.

We come from different disciplines so that explains our different reaction to the same statement. It's just that I'm thinking the Light field/multi-lens cameras are close. Exponential advancement does not favor a 5 year form factor, IMO.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    No, I think it was purposeful. Our First Amendment isn't recognized internationally.
    Not sure what post your referring to since I still see all of Marks posts but let me assure you the First Amendment doesn't protect you here nationally either. This is a private forum 100% owned by me personally and has nothing to do with the United States Constitution. Private entities and private spaces are not required to protect your speech. Any moderator of this forum can delete your post for any reason good or bad right or wrong at their sole discretion .

Not sure what post your referring to since I still see all of Marks posts but let me assure you the First Amendment doesn't protect you here nationally either. This is a private forum 100% owned by me personally and has nothing to do with the United States Constitution. Private entities and private spaces are not required to protect your speech. Any moderator of this forum can delete your post for any reason good or bad right or wrong at their sole discretion .
    Yes, from experience, believe me... I know. '-)

Oh, and it was Marc's post quoted by Sergio Perez that disappeared.

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Yes, from experience, believe me... I know. '-)

Oh, and it was Marc's post quoted by Sergio Perez that disappeared.
    if you already knew, Then why did you make that statement? Just wondering .

if you already knew, Then why did you make that statement? Just wondering .
    I was just offering support for Marc as a fellow "among the disappeared." '-)

Just a follow-up suggestion Jarred, when our posts are deleted, it would be a good-will sort of thing if the mod or mods would P.M. a poster that their post was being deleted for x-reason. When things are done uni-laterally without apparent justification, the mind wanders.