Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's NAB Journal 2016

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Great stuff Phil. Too bad you missed the Movcam stuff. It was in the 16x9 booth. Pretty impressive stuff.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thanks for the writeup and pictures. I only had one day I could attend, so it's nice to see some of the things I missed in my short time there.
    www.kfwright.com
    Epic-W PL and EF
    Teradek Bolt 600 HDMI/SDI (1 TX 2 RX)
    Sony CineAlta PL lens set: 20/25/35/50/85/135

Thanks for the recap, Phil. I really enjoy seeing the 3rd party love going on here. I love my Wooden Camera leather top handle, but felt a little naughty using it. Also, the KipperTie folks are killing it, and John is such a nice dude. Wish I could have made it this year. Here's to next!

Great stuff Phil. All I need in one thread minus flights halfway around the world!

thanks.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

I love this paper on immersive viewing!!! I am fanatical on understanding anything to do with the 360x180 format you developed. At nab were you able to go to the foundry booth and look at the new immersive compositing/VR tools that were just released?

good read thanks
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Love this thx phil.
    Thank you Jarred. And thanks for loaning me the 8K for the interview. Literally everybody in the C hall was ogling it. I think I can safely say here that it won the Redshark Best Cinema Camera of NAB 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean R. View Post
    Great write up Phil! Thank you for all that you do!
    Great hanging out with you again!
    Great to see you too Sean. Congratulations on the belly monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Great stuff Phil. Too bad you missed the Movcam stuff. It was in the 16x9 booth. Pretty impressive stuff.
    Damn. I was trying to sniff it out and likely walked by them. Really wanted to check out their rig. Great seeing you at the show Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hines View Post
    Thanks for the recap, Phil. I really enjoy seeing the 3rd party love going on here. I love my Wooden Camera leather top handle, but felt a little naughty using it. Also, the KipperTie folks are killing it, and John is such a nice dude. Wish I could have made it this year. Here's to next!
    I know those feels. Sometimes along the way of camera and accessory development there are indeed rocky waters, but Ryan at WC has been busting his butt and his DSMC2 stuff is very nice. Ran into him last year while filming in New York at AbelCine when he was showing off his new mattebox. Had a nice moment and conversation there.

John's killing it. He put a great deal of effort to enhance the concept of using "digital stocks" or "digital image processing at capture" to effect your image via his OLPFs. Halation is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    Great stuff Phil. All I need in one thread minus flights halfway around the world!
    Heh. Thanks David. I'll trade these sore feet though for a few flights :)

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    I love this paper on immersive viewing!!! I am fanatical on understanding anything to do with the 360x180 format you developed. At nab were you able to go to the foundry booth and look at the new immersive compositing/VR tools that were just released?
    Cheers Patrick. I feel often that I'm stuck in limbo as technology keeps bouncing to the surface sometimes. Equirectangular imaging was a big part of my life back when I was dealing more with Spherical High Dynamic Range Images and my PanOrganizer rigs. We did a bit of dome projection way back when as well, but VR ans 360 video has brought all of that back to life again. Foundry has some nice things going on. Particularly curious about the emphasis and push behind Lytro's new offering. A lot of which is a bit heavy (in camera weight, data storage, and processing) to achieve various VFX related goals.

The emulation or tweaking of shutter angles of HFR material to adjust the motion cadence is something you can do in 2D on any camera that can shoot 120fps and beyond. Most compositors know this, if you've used Colorfront you even get a slider :) The tracking info is useful, particularly for correcting parallax errors via the optical array, but it's a fairly limited range based on the physical area size of the array itself in terms of correction. I have more questions surrounding the sensor technology, but I'll save that for much later. I think the tech has potential, but at the moment in it's current implementation it's a big ass camera that has moderate use, but interesting potential. All good though. Early days.

One criticism regarding the PR behind the system however. When referring to pulling focus and lens operation as a limitation towards "making the movie you want to make today" that's more or less taking some of the creative decision making away from the people you actually want making those decisions, particularly the ones based on experience and feel. I understand the global message and the potential problems it can help avoid, but that in itself has already angered certain filmmakers across the community.

I certainly am looking forward to more demonstrations and eventually productions using the tech to see where it can go.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

8. #28 A big up! 
    Thnx a lot for this precious info! Specially for someone who missed that NAB 2016! For a moment felt like being there👍🏽

Thank you Phil. You can't begin to grasp how great your write up is for folks like me who had to stay in NAB foreign territories.
    There's bits and pieces everywhere on the well known news sites, but yours is such a lovely summary with some nice in betweens that weren't covered at all.

My favorite NAB feedback ! Thank you!

Thanks Phil... As usual providing the posts really worth reading!

Did you see they new DSMC2 accesories from Arri... I was excited to see them suporting Red and they look great on paper?

Ps Also with ref to 2/3 chips ever doing 8k how is it even possible from a optical pov.. The system will be diffraction limited beyond f2.8 and b4 can't go faster than about t1.5 so??... I really believe Reds apparent decision to not go smaller than 5micron is right.
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram