Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil's NAB Journal 2016

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    (snip) The 2/3" 8K sensor tech just isn't right at the moment, but I have a feeling that's the majority of what will be in Rio this year. (snip)
    Not sure how soon they'll be shipping, but Fujinon had a zoom in a glass case that resolves 8K to a 2/3" target. While no official pricing has been announced, those in the know anticipate over $250K...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Not sure how soon they'll be shipping, but Fujinon had a zoom in a glass case that resolves 8K to a 2/3" target. While no official pricing has been announced, those in the know anticipate over $250K...

Cheers - #19
    don't doubt your info just confused about the physics... not to repeat myself but

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post

Ps Also with ref to 2/3 chips ever doing 8k how is it even possible from a optical pov.. The system will be diffraction limited beyond f2.8 and b4 can't go faster than about t1.5 so??... .
    So even though it is possible to create the glass how usefull is it really? there is a really useful range of stops with a Dragon 8k that one can work towards creating a 8k picture.... but on 2/3 chip based camera it is more of lab experiment...

just my thoughts

PS thanks again Phil for the round up
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Super thorough and helpful. Thanks again Phil for what you bring to this forum!
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

Thanks for sharing your findings Phil, some interesting stuff there that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Phil, wasn't my description of the Cooke zoom accurate? I put in my order for it on thursday.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Cheers guys. Just got back to LA and somehow avoided the Coachella traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Marchionna View Post
    Phil, wasn't my description of the Cooke zoom accurate? I put in my order for it on thursday.
    It's funny, because I was super skeptical when you were telling me about it, but after spending a few minutes with it I was really impressed. It's a big chunk, but a lovely one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Thanks Phil... As usual providing the posts really worth reading!

Did you see they new DSMC2 accesories from Arri... I was excited to see them suporting Red and they look great on paper?

Ps Also with ref to 2/3 chips ever doing 8k how is it even possible from a optical pov.. The system will be diffraction limited beyond f2.8 and b4 can't go faster than about t1.5 so??... I really believe Reds apparent decision to not go smaller than 5micron is right.
    Thanks Michael. Yep. Saw the Arri DSMC2 Cine Base Plate. Similar to RED's concept supporting 15mm LWS on the QR plate and 19mm in the clamp plate. Like their shoulder piece. Top Plate is nice too. I like actually using the cable-less stuff on Weapon, so I do my best not to occlude those areas.

8K will be showing it's head in many format sizes. NHK is really interested in the broadcast side of things and some of their efforts and companies within a short toss of their efforts are focused there. I'm focused on 8K large format cinema applications. Down the line there will be several solutions at various format sizes from everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique Blein View Post
    Phil great review! what's your take on the new Lytro camera?
    Some of my brief thoughts for now:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1618559

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Just as I wrote you last week I knew that you would be our eyes and ears and do the most enjoyable and comprehensive review of NAB.
    Just learned a lot in 10 minutes of reading and it saved me having to fly in and search for interesting gear.

Many thanks Phil.
    Thanks Peter. Hope I was a decent set of eyes for you this year :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Have to admit, while I do miss it when I don't get to an NAB, reading Phil's posts is a bit like watching the Super Bowl on tv. I can pause it when I want, back it up, all from the comfort of my chair. Not quite being there, but t's a close second. Thanks Phil!
    That nice to hear Mark. There's a few things I didn't write about or upload just yet, like that amazing 8K wall display and the Atomis displays. Digesting some of it still. I did certainly miss a few things like the Movcam stuff, which makes me sad face.

In terms of things there were a lot of at the show. It was a Game of Drones all over the place. I think there were 9 new players I counted.

More new LED lights than you could shake a meter at as well. Some of these weren't worth looking at, but a few had interesting designs.

For DSMC and DSMC2 shooters Manfrotto had an interesting new line of top loading camera bags that can hold a camera rigged with a modest lens on there that I like.

A few new wireless follow focus units. Some decent. Some with crazy delay.

Kessler made a nice new base to their Shuttle Dolly which solves a lot of issues. Nice and solid.

E-Image who are distributed by IKAN had some interesting lower end MoCo stuff based on carbon fiber tube construction. Might be a nice solution for remote filming.

Heh. Gonna grab a coffee and reflect on a few things from the show now that I'm back in my neck of the woods.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil,

After seeing what you have seen at NAB, are you still happy you built a 645 kit?
    Should Ketch have sold his set so soon after getting it modded?

Our Dollar fell apart here in Aus so I am holding off the cine mod til its a little more affordable.
    I have been enjoying them in a T/S mount...

The live broadcast market seems to only want 2/3" - even at 8K. I don't dispute the physical/optical limitations inherent in that combo, but manufacturers tend to make what people will buy. FWIW, the Fujinon 8K for 2/3" at the show was a prototype AFAIK. Informed sources suggested that such a lens would be extremely expensive to make, with a list price that could exceed $400K. Hard to believe there would be much of a market at that price point, but perhaps high profile events like the Olympics would have enough value to justify $5K/day lens rentals...

Cheers - #19

Don't want to derail Phil's thread, it's a great overview with RedUser specific notes - thanks Phil. However, I am hoping some of the folks checking it out might be able to help. Does anyone know of a Leica-S to PL or XPL lens mount/adapter? It's a bayonet mount with lots of electronics that may only work on the Leica S, SL and T series still cams. Just wondering if there is any way to get that terrific medium format glass in front of the 8K Dragon - with access to the controls. Think Optitek>Canon, only more complicated.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Kelly View Post
    Phil,

After seeing what you have seen at NAB, are you still happy you built a 645 kit?
    Should Ketch have sold his set so soon after getting it modded?

Our Dollar fell apart here in Aus so I am holding off the cine mod til its a little more affordable.
    I have been enjoying them in a T/S mount...
    Lee,

Actually still have few Focal for sale... :)

But,

The only reason I am selling them is do to the fact of going a completely different and FAR, I mean FAR more expensive route... Of which I can't say anything about it now, as it is a work in progress discussion and testing of things.

Other then that, the Mamiya with Duclos Cinemodded are a great solution to 8k Weapon for truly great images, just need to use a BT Clip On MB in order to allow it to travel as the lenses travel when in use.
    Philanthropist | Filmmaker | Photographer