Thread: DSMC2 RED TOUCH 4.7" LCD - is it worth it?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC2 RED TOUCH 4.7" LCD - is it worth it? 

With this thread I'd like to collect a roster of opinions from those already received and tested their new 4.7" LCD.

Is it any good, guys? Is the 0.3" difference between this one and the old 5" noticeable?

Can you accurately judge focus (with focus assist on) and composition?

Anything that you can tell from experience of using it will be greatly appreciated.

After using the 7 inch I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a RED monitor this big (and this expensive), since I mainly use my 702 now, so I'm thinking about switching to the 4.7, just as a small guerrilla option and a tool for controlling the camera.

P.S.: Above screengrab is from Eddie Chai's Scarlet-W package unboxing video.
    "Production value!"

Can anyone from admin team add a "H" after the "wort" in the thread's name please %)

EDIT: Thank you!
    Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 04-25-2016 at 05:29 AM.
    "Production value!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post

Is it any good, guys? Is the 0.3" difference between this one and the old 5" noticeable?
    I didn't try it yet but I guess the 1280x720px vs 800x480px difference counterbalances the .3" loss easily.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Haven't used the 4.7 on set yet, but I played around with it at Ablecine and I think it'll be useable but not ideal. I didn't notice any difficulties with judging focus in the well lit showroom floor but I could imagine it being more difficult outside and/or in the heat of a production. If you are just using it for control then it's a non-issue.

If you do want to use the touch screen as an operators monitor, then I highly recommend that you go with the 7" touch instead. I have one and it's absolutely gorgeous. Can't possibly recommend more!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

I have only seen it at Red and it looked great.. Don't think the tiny size difference makes any meaningful operating difference

I would love it if Red also brought out a hingeless Lemo on the back version... Becuase this is a small monitor I want to keep it small. Not having a hinge, pogo then pogo to lemo adapter in the bottom would be great...

Regards

I used both the 4.7'' and the 5'' on my Weapon and the quality has improved a lot on the new one.
    I used the 7'' for a couple of days but I ended up getting rid of it as it was too big for most of my set-up.
    When switching from 7'' to 4.7'', the screen looked really small but I got used to it.
    My only regret on the 4.7'' is the lack of rotation but you can't always get what you want!
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    If you do want to use the touch screen as an operators monitor, then I highly recommend that you go with the 7" touch instead. I have one and it's absolutely gorgeous. Can't possibly recommend more!
    Marcus, I currently use the 7 inch touch, try SmallHD 702, or better compare them side by side, you'll be surprised. 702 beats RED's 7 inch hands down while being twice as cheap. The only thing it doesn't have is touch functionality, but I can live with that.
    "Production value!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
    The only thing it doesn't have is touch functionality, but I can live with that.
    Have to strongly disagree with this point. The "touch functionality" is one of the absolute best parts of the RED monitors. That would be like preferring a car without tires. The whole touching part is pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Have to strongly disagree with this point. The "touch functionality" is one of the absolute best parts of the RED monitors. That would be like preferring a car without tires. The whole touching part is pretty important.
    I'm ninja with sidehandle and use foolcontrol almost all the time, so touch is not a huge deal for me personally, Mark. And the LCD stays clean :)
    "Production value!"

I've seen a negative comment from a reduser in another thread but can't find it now...so whoever it was, please come to this thread and elaborate some more on your experience
    "Production value!"