Thread: Balancing the mighty Red One

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Balancing the mighty Red One 
    I am having trouble balancing my fully built R1MX. I have a panavision dovetail which I would like to attach to the red bottomplate, but they wudnt slide in. I have a red shoulder plate, but find it quite unstable attaching a tripod plate on the three tiny screws. Thoughts?
    The ultimate indie film resource:
    Red One MX 4.5k BT - super-quiet fan - rent for $400/day
    zoom 18-50mm + primes
    hi end lighting, grip, sound + crew
    my truck makes your movie!
    Builder of super smooth ManoDolly
    www.rectangled.biz

I presume you have the production pack (19mm). I suggest swapping the cradle for a 19mm rod compatible bridge plate and dovetail plate. Get at least an 18" long dovetail plate.
    This will let you keep your 19mm rod compatible accessories.

Perhaps you should visit Abel Cine or another rental house in person to see what suits your specific accessories best.

Thanls for the input. I wll use my panavision plate then, as it comes with a sliding dovetail. 18 inch rods is definitely a good idea.

I noticed that it is often forgotten that the Red One baseplate also slides by the little release handle in the front. I use a simple Ronford plate eternally attached and can balance at least a Angenieux HR.

Post a photo of what you are trying at the moment. Although lots of experienced shooters said otherwise, I never had any issues using the standard Red shoulder pad - even with a heavy rig - on a Sachtler Video 20 Mk2 fluid head and the standard snap plate. I wasn't doing any super fast whip pans or car mount stuff though.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.