Thread: Fragile 7" Touchscreens

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Fragile 7" Touchscreens 
    Has anyone found a solution for making the 7" Touchscreen rentable? (new pro version for Weapon)

2 screen replacements so far caused by scratches and two more with minor scratches not worth the cost of replacing already and all in a few months.....zzzzzzz

They are as bad as the original Red One 5" monitors (which we could solve with glass covers because they weren't touchscreen).

The 5'6" Touch was great - I had one scratched badly this week - first one in 5 years on a fleet of 10 cameras.

These new ones are so delicate this is going to become a big issue on rental. I don't really want to add nail clippers to all our kits.

I'm trying to source / have made something like the iPad/phone tempered glass stick on screens which are great but the problem is they can't be cut to fit.

Any suggestions?

Any chance of a Red made one we can buy to use chaps?

I used a TechArmor iPad screen protector on mine and it helps, mine is also antiglare.

These new touchscreens are definitely more fragile than the good old 5 inch, so the best you can do is apply the strongest screen protector you can find.
    "Production value!"

The first week I had my R1, I had not tightened the Noga arm and it slipped and scratched the LCD. Was very unhappy / sad with myself. :(

My only complaint about the cableless 7" vs. the previous 7" is that it does not fold completely flat, which means I have to take it off when I put the camera in my backpack. Since it has the thumb wheels to tighten / loosen, not a big deal. Overall I like the new 7" over the old 7". Sorry for going off topic.

For renting, you might consider something like the Atomos 7" Shogun Flame. Its a pretty beefy screen. It is heavier than the Red 7" though. I bought the Shogun Flame strictly for HDR monitoring.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Why don't these displays come with a hard cover that you can attach while moving the camera or packing? Just a plastic piece to put on, I don't know why that's not standard accessory you get when you buy a display.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans
    Why don't these displays come with a hard cover

A cover would be nice. I use the Hoodman 7" folded to protect my 7" when not in use.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    [/COLOR]

A cover would be nice. I use the Hoodman 7" folded to protect my 7" when not in use.
    I use a correct sized RED pouch with a piece of foam cut to the size of the bag from a cheap and soft exercice mat. Works perfectly for transport protection here too.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

I also already have two very light scratches on my cableless 7" that I honestly have ZERO clue as to how it happened. Im the only one thats used it at all and I've only cleaned it with new microfiber cloths. Zagg glass screen protectors for iphone are amazing, I just dont know if they would work with the RED touch or not? Also being actual glass they cant exactly be cut to size... :(

Interesting. I have the cabled 7" and I would say it's he same as the 5.6 as far as scratch-ability which I feel is pretty durable. Perhaps material has changed?

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

How much does Red charge for replacing the front screen?

I use this on my 7" touch... it's made for the original 7" but fits the touch just fine.

http://proksolutions.com/products/red-pro-lcd-7/