Thread: Fragile 7" Touchscreens

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I recently seen a figure of around 600
    RED EPIC DRAGON #8131

Recently had a renter drop my new 7" RED Touch and it cracked and the touch function no longer works. Pretty fragile, wasn't big drop.
    Cinematographer
    www.derrickcohan.com

2X RED Gemini Packages
    Fujinon 19-90mm
    Sigma Cine Zooms
    Teradek RT
    Movi Pro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I find it a bit odd that such an expensive screen is so fragile... my iPhone is more reliable as a touch screen. It would even be more safe and less expensive to buy a new iPhone+, dismantle it, workout a connection adapter and use it as a touchscreen instead. I was about to get a touch for my Red, but now I'm not so sure anymore. If it isn't an option to replace the screen with scratch and crack-safe glass, then at least include a slip-on hardcover that you could always put on when mounted on the camera or placed aside. Most gear on the camera seem to hold well against harsh conditions, but I cringe everytime someone is using my camera based purely on being afraid they break the screen.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

5" touch is a tank, love it so much I got another one for my new DSMC2 set up
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    If it isn't an option to replace the screen with scratch and crack-safe glass, then at least include a slip-on hardcover that you could always put on when mounted on the camera or placed aside. Most gear on the camera seem to hold well against harsh conditions, but I cringe everytime someone is using my camera based purely on being afraid they break the screen.
    I agree, it will not hold up to rigorous film production use, not like the old 5"... it is not battle-ready at all.. I could imagine, they probably wanted to keep things lightweight and the housing seems fine, but that LCD display is razor thin and prone to massive scratches. it's gorgerous, but a single grain of sand will wreck it... And I rue the day when the screen accidentally gets bumped into the top handle, despite the rubberized stopper.. so yeah $775 to fix the scratches on my brand new touch monitor, wish the RMA dept were a little bit more gracious about repairing this especially to early adopters..
    Last edited by Patrick Kendall; 05-29-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

I still love the 5". I sent it in for repair recently since the Lemo port was getting loose and RED said they no longer carry parts for the 5" and offered an upgrade to the 7", so I just asked for it back. When it was returned they fixed the port and tightened everything up good as new for no charge. Mine is pretty dinged up and been through a lot but works better than day 1 w/ firmware improvements. It really is a tank.
    www.kylestryker.com
    Local 600 Camera Operator
    Epic-X Dragon #05367

Agreed. I've had problems with the 7" Touch Pro screens since launch. Every single one of mine are scuffed and scratched up. Very irritating. The very first 7" Touch Pro from over a year and a half ago ended up scratched the very first shoot it was out on. We were filming in the desert and a bit of sand blew on the screen. I went to brush it was away with my hand while operating and the sand granules instantly scratched the soft plastic. Terrible. Also, every single 7" monitor we have is now wobbly thanks to the still not fixed articulation point. This has been a problem since the big 9" monitors and it's disappointing to see that it's still not fixed. Also the brightness of the 5" monitor is much better than the brightness of the 7".

In sum, while the size and weight of the 7" is wonderful, almost everything else about it is less than stellar. I hope RED puts together a monitor that is at least as bright as the 5", uses Gorilla Glass or equivalent, and has an articulation point that can be manually tightened by the end user. Why should we have to send in a monitor for tightening?
    B L A C K W O O D
    A RED Authorized Dealer
    http://www.blackwoodcamera.com

Can someone confirm if the new 4.7" has the same type of panel and is as easily scratched as the 7"?
    "Production value!"