Thread: Computer purchase advice

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Computer purchase advice 
    Hi Guys,

looking for for experienced users of Red to help me out here. I run acting courses in London and shoot short films for all our actors, in the past I've always used canon dslr's. I've just bought a Red one Mx and I'm now totally smitten with Red! No going back for sure. Now in the past I've always used Adobe Premiere Pro on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro, which as you probably know is Intel i5processor and 4gb ram. No problem handling footage from a dslr but a major problem now I'm working with 4K files, tortoise power all day every day *groans*
    Over the summer I'll be filming a short film in Scotland and also have a ton of showreels to get through with all our actors so really can't mess around swearing at the screen all day.

Is is there anyone who could recommend a fast and powerful desktop? What are the specs that are going to help this work load and make my life a happy one? Red Rocket is out of the question at this point. I'm looking between 500-1000. More if absolutely nessesery but the advice I've received so far is that this budget is achievable. This isn't from Red users however so am really looking for professional advice.

oh also, Pc or Mac?

Huge thanks in advance!

Wait for Thunderbolt 3. There are a few PC's with it and hopefully Mac's soon.

PC or Mac is a huge flame topic.

PC's are generally more powerful and cheaper, but buying off the shelf you have to be a bit more tech savvy and make sure all the internals are working in harmony as there are more graphic cards and other options which can lead to compatibility issues. Do your research for sure.

Mac is a closed system so it's a bit more plug-and-play and less compatibility issues, but you pay more.
    -----------
    DP and sometimes Director
    Reel: http://builtbyugene.com/html_pages/h...iveaction.html
    Entire Portfolio: http://builtbyugene.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Page View Post
    oh also, Pc or Mac?
    If you're thinking of using Davinci Resolve, it seems to be a major resource hog, and they have a computer config guide you can check out to see what they recommend. Seems like if it works for Resolve, it'll work for everything else. If going with a PC, I'd get one (or two or three) of the new GTX 1080 graphics cards since they're hot off the presses and fast, and fairly affordable.

As for Mac vs. PC. I've always had a Mac, but the graphics card options are super limiting right now. I'm waiting for WWDC in June to see if they finally update the Mac Pro, or announcing something with the new NVidia Pascal architecture. Otherwise, if they don't, might be time to move to PC for me...

Thanks for the reply.

I have been building my workstations, since I remember having workstations :)
    Working with 6K footage in realtime, and the recent system costed me 1500Eur
    When it comes to resolve tho, U will need a Highend GFX with a lot of Graphic memory and some fast RAM.
    I am running i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz / 32Gb ram
    However i didnt invest in a good GFX (750ti) yet so when it comes to resolve i set my timeline to 4K/2K depending on the job, but 50% of the stuff straight from Premiere which is superfast when working with R3D.
    RED EPIC DRAGON #8131

Quote Originally Posted by David Page View Post
    Hi Guys,

looking for for experienced users of Red to help me out here. I run acting courses in London and shoot short films for all our actors, in the past I've always used canon dslr's. I've just bought a Red one Mx and I'm now totally smitten with Red! No going back for sure. Now in the past I've always used Adobe Premiere Pro on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro, which as you probably know is Intel i5processor and 4gb ram. No problem handling footage from a dslr but a major problem now I'm working with 4K files, tortoise power all day every day *groans*
    Over the summer I'll be filming a short film in Scotland and also have a ton of showreels to get through with all our actors so really can't mess around swearing at the screen all day.

Is is there anyone who could recommend a fast and powerful desktop? What are the specs that are going to help this work load and make my life a happy one? Red Rocket is out of the question at this point. I'm looking between 500-1000. More if absolutely nessesery but the advice I've received so far is that this budget is achievable. This isn't from Red users however so am really looking for professional advice.

oh also, Pc or Mac?

Huge thanks in advance!
    Check this REDuser thread.

Their selling point is:

The Server Store is your one-stop shop for refurbished IT equipment that fit your budget. We offer custom server and workstation builds for both home-office and business use, and we do it using parts that we test and refurbish ourselves. The Server Store stocks recent generation equipment from all major manufacturers, including Dell, HP, IBM, and more.

Working with a budget? We’ll help you find the optimal solution. Need an upgrade? We sell parts too!

You no longer have to break the bank for new IT equipment. Shop at The Server Store today and invest in your IT setup with confidence.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 05-26-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith