Thread: PHFX | tools

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Hmm. Interesting about 5K FF. I know 5K 2:1 and WS handle 4:1 though. I think Jarred might have ment 2:1 perhaps?
    The thread was pretty clear in fact.

Jarred:" Good morning everyone.. I woke up to the same question most of you are having.... with absolutely no idea what the fuck just happened.
    After loosing my shit to a few of my people.. It is clear we have a bit of clusterfuck between our engineering and our guy that makes the pretty charts and who rounds what number to what.
    Anyways.. Nothing has changed in the camera. The max data rate is the same as it was yesterday, the camera still records 140MB/s and that translates to a REDCODE compression ratio of 4.1 : 1 .
    People take that number and round down to 4:1 but the Camera takes that number and rounds up ( for just display ) to 5:1... Hence the confusion.
    As for the other weird numbers across the specs... Brent will get that cleaned up.
    Apologies all".

Brent: "
    Jarred's original post is correct. It is 4.1:1. However, camera UI does a conservative rounding. Meaning, 4.1 rounds to 5 in the UI, but actual is indeed 4.1. Therefore, operations guides, website, etc reflect as the UI does instead of cross-talk. The error online had a round down, which was incorrect.
    Before anyone asks, can we show a tenth on camera UI, that is 4.1:1 for example. It would be a major overhaul indeed so not in the plans".

Thanx again for your work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo Del View Post
    The thread was pretty clear in fact.

Jarred:" Good morning everyone.. I woke up to the same question most of you are having.... with absolutely no idea what the fuck just happened.
    After loosing my shit to a few of my people.. It is clear we have a bit of clusterfuck between our engineering and our guy that makes the pretty charts and who rounds what number to what.
    Anyways.. Nothing has changed in the camera. The max data rate is the same as it was yesterday, the camera still records 140MB/s and that translates to a REDCODE compression ratio of 4.1 : 1 .
    People take that number and round down to 4:1 but the Camera takes that number and rounds up ( for just display ) to 5:1... Hence the confusion.
    As for the other weird numbers across the specs... Brent will get that cleaned up.
    Apologies all".

Brent: "
    Jarred's original post is correct. It is 4.1:1. However, camera UI does a conservative rounding. Meaning, 4.1 rounds to 5 in the UI, but actual is indeed 4.1. Therefore, operations guides, website, etc reflect as the UI does instead of cross-talk. The error online had a round down, which was incorrect.
    Before anyone asks, can we show a tenth on camera UI, that is 4.1:1 for example. It would be a major overhaul indeed so not in the plans".

Thanx again for your work!

Fascinating! This also makes up for my rounding error. I've updated the code!

I may add a condition to show 5:1 instead of 4:1 or something, just so it matches the GUI but still provides the correct data rate.

At the moment it will spit out 4:1 on my program. I'm on vacation and might tackle it further later.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Your WICKED Phil! Thanks
    Curtis Edlin
    Director | DP
    curtisedlin.com

Scarlet-W #000849 "Krampus"
    Scarlet-X #05145 "Old Gregg" *SOLD*

Thanks Phil...you certainly are a unicorn. :)
    Matt Fleming - VFX, Matchmoving, & CGI

IMDB credits

Phil is just a humble servant.
    Brandon Shafto - Director of Photography - Michigan
    Epic-X Dragon 6K

bumpyroadstudios.com
    instagram.com/bumpy_road_studios/
    facebook.com/BumpyRoadStudios/

Fascinating! This also makes up for my rounding error. I've updated the code!

I may add a condition to show 5:1 instead of 4:1 or something, just so it matches the GUI but still provides the correct data rate.

At the moment it will spit out 4:1 on my program. I'm on vacation and might tackle it further later.
    Haha, even on vacation.
    Thanx!

For those tuned in. I've made some light updates and the bigger news is the addition of "lensData":

lensData - will generate a "Phil style" Lens Datasheet for a selected Lens Set. This will provide general specifications, and if desired, RED Format/Resolution Image Plane Coverage for a selected RED Sensor Technology. Which is useful as DSMC and DSMC2 bodies are indeed multi-format/resolution digital cinema cameras.

This is something that's been years in the making. The ongoing efforts are between myself and Duclos Lenses. I have info on just over a thousand lenses and it's currently populated with about 1/3.

Lens Coverage is indeed a "live" concept as new cameras and lenses are released and tested. Specifically for RED Weapon 8K and FF35 primes stay tuned for MANY more updates. For Dragon 6K there's a lot of helpful data in there.

Enjoy.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Great all-in-one resource. Really helps to have the images to back up the math. This site will be invaluable when discussing data rates and sensor sizes on set.
    Thanks!

For those tuned in. I've made some light updates and the bigger news is the addition of "lensData":

lensData - will generate a "Phil style" Lens Datasheet for a selected Lens Set. This will provide general specifications, and if desired, RED Format/Resolution Image Plane Coverage for a selected RED Sensor Technology. Which is useful as DSMC and DSMC2 bodies are indeed multi-format/resolution digital cinema cameras.

This is something that's been years in the making. The ongoing efforts are between myself and Duclos Lenses. I have info on just over a thousand lenses and it's currently populated with about 1/3.

Lens Coverage is indeed a "live" concept as new cameras and lenses are released and tested. Specifically for RED Weapon 8K and FF35 primes stay tuned for MANY more updates. For Dragon 6K there's a lot of helpful data in there.

Enjoy.
    Love the interface and the lens data. On the master prime anamorphic I never had it in 5.5k ws mode, so I just broke out the camera and lens to check that out ... very cool. For the MPA I tell people it fully covers dragon 6k at 3:2.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carboni View Post
    Great all-in-one resource. Really helps to have the images to back up the math. This site will be invaluable when discussing data rates and sensor sizes on set.
    Thanks!
    Thank you Adam. This is possibly the best way for the datasheets that "constantly change" to move forward. Certainly allows for me to update things as we go a bit easier than a well made printable graphic.

I've already had to use the tools a couple times this week.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    Love the interface and the lens data. On the master prime anamorphic I never had it in 5.5k ws mode, so I just broke out the camera and lens to check that out ... very cool. For the MPA I tell people it fully covers dragon 6k at 3:2.
    I need to figure out exactly how to handle anamorphic coverage. I want to promote the "proper" RED way of shooting with each given format, like 6:5 for 2X for instance, but the additional chaos of being able to shoot much larger formats or unorthodox aspect has made that a tricky subject.

I don't want to tell anybody how to live their life :)

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon