Thread: New MacPro predictions? Hopes? Fears?

Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384
    Moores Law

Intel's move to FinFET addressed transistor leakage at reduced feature size - but dramatically increased the design complexity and manufacturing costs.

When FinFET structures go below '7nm', there is a marked increase resistance, requiring more current drive - increasing the power density, which might even reduce the transistor performance.

IBM 5nm : The jump to slices and stacks of varying thickness sheets of conductive material (Gate-all-around) design is going to introduce a node shrink, some design simplifications, but with markedly lower resistance.

I would anticipate a win-win on moving to this node. Reduction in per-transistor manufacturing cost, and a sizeable bump up in transistor performance.

AJ

2. #832 Timing 
    If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, Apple took their mid-level desktop line - iMac - and created a "Pro" variant that, at least on paper, is a real workstation class device. It's not a "monster" workstation, and typical RedUser tasks are likely to push it pretty hard, but it's release at the end of 2017 allows them to "quell the insurrection" for a while. With some of the time pressure relieved, it would be much easier for them to wait a few extra months for a key component or technology to be available that could extend the useful lifespan of what is likely to be a very expensive offering.

As a potential buyer of both iMacPros and m/MacPros over the next few years, I would advocate for such a strategy. I can drop my $12K-ish on a well equipped iMacPro to hold me over until they release the beast. I'll probably have to access render farms for certain things, but the if the iMacPro lives up to expectations - not that often. Whatever the correct interpretation of Moore's Law might be, I've been in this space long enough to know there are key inflection points for various technologies. If Apple can time it right, they might be able include some significant advancements in the m/MacPro 7,1 which would extend it's useful life - maybe even long enough to ROI it ;-)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    You're interpretation of "modular" probably varies widely from Apple's.
    Sadly, you maybe right. Their version of modular varies from most people. If they do a normal tower it won't be very revolutionary, and not the most flexible or highest performing. But that's Apple, redefining around reinterpretation of normal based on what they do. I suppose you can look at a tower as modular, especially server like tower cases, rather than just expandable/reconfigurable.
    Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Inferiorly superior (humbleness) rather than superiorly inferior (arrogance). -
    Reputation is something the unwise apply. But integrity is what the wise apply.

So, maybe it will be just a bigger trash can where you can swap things with some expansion on the base.

Somebody was speaking about the non expandability of the IMac Pro and how that will lead to wastage. For desktop publishing, photography in a way, and a numbed of things, it will ha e enough power to keep for the rest of it's life, in uses that don't require expansion for extra performance.
    Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Inferiorly superior (humbleness) rather than superiorly inferior (arrogance). -
    Reputation is something the unwise apply. But integrity is what the wise apply.

Rack mountable please. I would argue that a large percentage of the market for the modular MacPro 7,1 workstation will keep it in a machine room, adjacent ventilated closet, etc rather than listening to it whine all day long. The iMacPro and the 2013 nMP 6,1 cylinder are designed to live on your desktop, so they have to carefully manage the cooling/noise ratio. For the upcoming monster I'd happily live with a few more decibels, in exchange for cooling that can handle challenging tasks like long ass renders.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    Sadly, you maybe right. Their version of modular varies from most people. If they do a normal tower it won't be very revolutionary, and not the most flexible or highest performing. But that's Apple, redefining around reinterpretation of normal based on what they do. I suppose you can look at a tower as modular, especially server like tower cases, rather than just expandable/reconfigurable.
    That's the thing though. We don't need anything revolutionary, or thinner, or whatever...we just want power and flexibility. It's a concept Apple refuses to acknowledge.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon Mg Dragon - #889 | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)