Thread: Will Red Rocket X in a thunderbolt enclosure work on Windows?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Will Red Rocket X in a thunderbolt enclosure work on Windows? 
    Will a Red Rocket X in a thunderbolt enclosure work on Windows? I'm looking at purchasing a Magma Expressbox 3T and am hoping I can use my Red Rocket X on both my onset DIT mac laptop and my Windows Davinci box back at the office. Anyone tried this before?
    Danai Chutinaton | DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35
    www.bluepano.com

Bump
    www.bluepano.com

Curious to what others experiences are. But I was told by Red that the Rocket-x card isn't as efficient when put in an expansion chassis connected thru thunderbolt. He wasn't able to tell me how inefficient. I am also on a mac tho, so sorry I don't have any info for windows.
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

Quote Originally Posted by Brody_B
    But I was told by Red that the Rocket-x card isn't as efficient when put in an expansion chassis connected thru thunderbolt. He wasn't able to tell me how inefficient.
    The card is bottle-necked by the limited bandwidth of TB.

Some TB drivers, on Windows, only work when plugged in on boot-up. e.g. the Apple drivers included in bootcamp are like this. Non-Apple TB MBs work much better with Thunderbolt and can be hot plugged. Drivers don't ship in Windows for Thunderbolt.

I skipped the RR-X this time around so I can't give you any hard numbers. I owned the original RR. I wish I could use the RR-X to decode and then the CPU/GPU to debayer then you would get the best of both worlds. Currently when you use the GPU to debayer, you are using the CPU to decode.

Stacey,

Sounds to me like you are saying the Rocket X should work on my Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard with thunderbolt add on card as long as I plug the thunderbolt enclosure in before turning on the computer?
    Last edited by Danai Chutinaton; 06-15-2016 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    www.bluepano.com

On paper the Rocket-X is indeed bottlenecked in a TB enclosure however your usage scenario will dictate how much it matters in real world situations:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...est&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Danai Chutinaton View Post
    Will a Red Rocket X in a thunderbolt enclosure work on Windows? I'm looking at purchasing a Magma Expressbox 3T and am hoping I can use my Red Rocket X on both my onset DIT mac laptop and my Windows Davinci box back at the office. Anyone tried this before?
    Move a different card to the chassis. Not the Rocket X. Ideally you want lower priority devices in the expansion and higher priority such as GPU's and decoding/encoding cards on the board. Network adapters, SAS controllers, and to some extent i/o cards can go in the expansion chassis.