Thread: Premiere and Resolve Round Tripping with Scarlet W

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Premiere and Resolve Round Tripping with Scarlet W 
    Hey guys wonder if anyone knows what I maybe doing wrong here.

I shot on Scarlet W with Quicktime and R3ds for a project. I cut the entire project with the Quicktimes. Nothing crazy on the timeline. Just one track.

Exported an XML for grading in Davinci. I use the "Ignore File Extensions" like I have in the past to point Davinci to the R3Ds. Except this time its not changing anything on the timeline. Its still the Quicktimes. Only way I could get it to work was bringing in all the R3ds into the media pool then going through the timeline and force conforming them one by one.

Just seeing if there is a better solution or if anyone can chime in. I really appreciate it .
    Rob Sholty
    Director/DP
    Vessel 7 Films
    www.srvii.com
    www.vimeo.com/robsholty

Were the Quicktime files in the media pool? I've never had a problem by importing all the .R3Ds into the Media Pool before importing the sequence. Then DaVinci only knows about the R3Ds, since the XML doesn't carry full path information, I'm pretty sure.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

hey andrew yeah that would totally work the only problem is the quicktimes are generated in the same folders as the R3ds so in order to separate them you would need to pull them out of the folder one by one. If you dragged in the whole folder both quicktimes and R3ds will be there.
    Rob Sholty
    Director/DP
    Vessel 7 Films
    www.srvii.com
    www.vimeo.com/robsholty

The chapter on "Importing Projects & Relinking Media" (pp. 572-592 in the 12.5 manual) is a critical one, and goes into a lot of detail on how to bring in an XML, then relink to camera original files.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Hey Marc ,

Did everything it explains in the manual and no dice. Not sure whats happening. Maybe if the quicktimes were in a different folder than the R3Ds they would work better. But then you would also have to go into each folder and separate the R3Ds from the Quicktimes which is the same amount of work.

I had no trouble at all when I would do round tripping with the Epic MX and Scarlet MX. We would transcode to quicktimes , edit in Premiere, make an XML, would ignore file extensions to relink to R3ds and everything would work perfect. The new Scarlet W footage not so much. Sent an email to Blackmagic to see if they have any work arounds.
    Rob Sholty
    Director/DP
    Vessel 7 Films
    www.srvii.com
    www.vimeo.com/robsholty

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sholty View Post
    hey andrew yeah that would totally work the only problem is the quicktimes are generated in the same folders as the R3ds so in order to separate them you would need to pull them out of the folder one by one.
    I'm sure if you did something like used the Finder or Windows Explorer to search only within the directory for .mov, then moved all the found QuickTime files out into a separate folder, and then imported your original folder into DaVinci again you'd be able to save yourself a lot of tedious work. That might be a solution if the others don't work out. Obviously you'd need to relink in your offline then, if you needed to go back to it.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Hey Andrew,

That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.
    Rob Sholty
    Director/DP
    Vessel 7 Films
    www.srvii.com
    www.vimeo.com/robsholty

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sholty View Post
    hey andrew yeah that would totally work the only problem is the quicktimes are generated in the same folders as the R3ds so in order to separate them you would need to pull them out of the folder one by one. If you dragged in the whole folder both quicktimes and R3ds will be there.
    Just dump all of the clips into your media pool, then sort by format (column selection), shift click highlight all of the now grouped QTs and remove them in one single click. Easy.
    Import the xml and turn off "automatically import source clips".

No need change the folder structure on your drive.