Thread: Would RED make tempered glass screen protectors for displays

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Han View Post
    Highly recommend Zagg's invisible shield HDX. I tried a bunch of screen protectors, they all felt and looked weird on a touch screen, then I tried Zagg's invisible shield. Their original felt stiff to the touch, so I tried HDX (figured their glass can't be cut), their HDX has 99% clarity, feels like glass, and is cuttable. I don't think their 7" iPad version is big enough, as it has holes around it, so I went with the iPad pro 12.9" version and I was able to measure and cut 4 pieces of exactly the same size as the RED Touch 7.0". Yesterday after wrapping my shoot I noticed a huge scratch on my monitor. We transported the whole rig several times, so assuming it happened during then. If I was handling transport I would have made sure this never happened, but sometimes your AC's can get careless with your equipment. Thank god this Zagg has military grade shatter/scratch protection, I peeled it off and the monitor was in perfect condition. Slapped on another one of my spare protector and I'm good to go :)

Still, looks like you need a clam shell lid for transport.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    Still, looks like you need a clam shell lid for transport.
    Yeah I'd love to get one, but now I'm just taking the monitor off and putting it back in the case. It's a quick release thumbscrew so it's fast and much safer to transport

Yeah I'd love to get one, but now I'm just taking the monitor off and putting it back in the case. It's a quick release thumbscrew so it's fast and much safer to transport
    Is a clamshell something made by RED or another company for these?

I have a 3D printer, I don't have a 7" LCD but I'll have the 4.7" when my Scarlet-W arrives. I might try whipping up a design for a small and lightweight clip-on cover. Maybe reversible so you can clip it on the back of the monitor when not in use? That could work well for the 4.7", it looks like the 7" has a little bump on the back that could interfere.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

I wouldn't use scissors as you can't cut exactly in a straight line. Use the best/sharpest knife you have, something like a precision cutting knife. Measure the monitor's inner screen size and minus 1mm from each side and cut with a ruler, you probably have to cut the same line several times so just keep cutting till it cuts
    Thanks for the tip. How is easy to remove and change once it gets scratched? Do I have to open the whole redtouch?
    RAVEN #00886

Highly recommend Zagg's invisible shield HDX. I tried a bunch of screen protectors, they all felt and looked weird on a touch screen, then I tried Zagg's invisible shield. Their original felt stiff to the touch, so I tried HDX (figured their glass can't be cut), their HDX has 99% clarity, feels like glass, and is cuttable. I don't think their 7" iPad version is big enough, as it has holes around it, so I went with the iPad pro 12.9" version and I was able to measure and cut 4 pieces of exactly the same size as the RED Touch 7.0". Yesterday after wrapping my shoot I noticed a huge scratch on my monitor. We transported the whole rig several times, so assuming it happened during then. If I was handling transport I would have made sure this never happened, but sometimes your AC's can get careless with your equipment. Thank god this Zagg has military grade shatter/scratch protection, I peeled it off and the monitor was in perfect condition. Slapped on another one of my spare protector and I'm good to go :)

+1!! Thanks for the tip, Jason! After reading your post, I ordered the same deal, cut out one piece and slapped it on my 7" screen. It was super easy to apply, I have a couple small bubbles in mine, but they're not noticeable when the display is on. The protector has a great feel and looks great, as if nothing is even there. The protector is easier to clean than the display itself, and doesn't hold finger print smudges as much as the actual display.

I highly recommend Jason's tip. I think I got my protector on Amazon for about $30. Great deal to protect my screen and have spares for the future.

Thanks again, Jason.
    Epic-X Dragon #8014

Banned
    I have the tempered glass screen protectors for both my smartphone and two iPad versions (iPad Air 4 and iPad Pro). I have to say that they are really useful and essential to protect the display. If it hadn't been the screen protector, my iPad Pro could have been destroyed.