Thread: Are two Titan X's worth 1 Red Rocket-X ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Are two Titan X's worth 1 Red Rocket-X ? 
    Greetings. Working on a build for a Resolve station to edit and process 4k-6k Epic Dragon shoots. We're adding a couple Titan X cards with an expansion chassis and right now we have a Red Rocket-X added to the configuration as well. I still haven't found any definitive answers as whether or not we would be better off scrapping the Red Rocket-X and adding 2 more Titan Cards instead...or just saving the $$ and beefing up the CPU.

Current specs: z840 Workstation, Dual Xeon 2680's, 64GB, Cubix 4bay GPU expansion chassis with 2xTitan X and one Red Rocket X.

very curious about this one too
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

Save the money, if you go to 8K you may need too along with other things. I have that setup with one Titan and everything is smooth but I'm still MX sensor. What core are you running 4,6 or 8 core?

GPU power seems like it holds more scalable capability. FWIW I'm coloring Dragon 6K full debayer on a 5,1 12-core with a 980 Ti. Playback is in realtime with many nodes including parallel layers and mixers (and one NR node). HD renders are ~30-35 fps, 4K ~ 12-15 fps. Not sure the Rocket offers a good cost benefit.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Long View Post
    GPU power seems like it holds more scalable capability. FWIW I'm coloring Dragon 6K full debayer on a 5,1 12-core with a 980 Ti. Playback is in realtime with many nodes including parallel layers and mixers (and one NR node). HD renders are ~30-35 fps, 4K ~ 12-15 fps. Not sure the Rocket offers a good cost benefit.
    Do you have a stock card or did you get it flashed, Macvidcards?
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wise View Post
    Greetings. Working on a build for a Resolve station to edit and process 4k-6k Epic Dragon shoots. We're adding a couple Titan X cards with an expansion chassis and right now we have a Red Rocket-X added to the configuration as well. I still haven't found any definitive answers as whether or not we would be better off scrapping the Red Rocket-X and adding 2 more Titan Cards instead...or just saving the $$ and beefing up the CPU.

Current specs: z840 Workstation, Dual Xeon 2680's, 64GB, Cubix 4bay GPU expansion chassis with 2xTitan X and one Red Rocket X.
    Keep the Rocket X card. The Rocket handles the decoding/encoding weight and takes that load of the CPU. The GPU's handle other aspects such as scaling and interpolation. To give you an example testing showed a Dual Xeon 2697V3 load between 60% to 100% at full resolution preview on a timeline. The Rocket changed that load to 10%. So it allows you to significantly lower the CPU load which frees the CPU for the memory management/GPU acceleration and FX. Makes a tremendous difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Do you have a stock card or did you get it flashed, Macvidcards?
    Stock. Using it purely as a GPU.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron michaels View Post
    Save the money, if you go to 8K you may need too along with other things. I have that setup with one Titan and everything is smooth but I'm still MX sensor. What core are you running 4,6 or 8 core?
    Currently looking at dual 10 cores

Running an unflashed GTX980 in a 5,1 cMP tower no problem. YMMV.
    I run an RR-X in slot#2 and it really does take the decoding weight off the CPU - PLUS - it now supports real time UHD video out via DP1.2!!! I would assume that means less work for the GPU, since it isn't busy pushing those pixels out, but I have no metric to prove that.
    Whether the RR-X is a good value is a valid question, they're not cheap. Whether it helps speed up your system is axiomatic - it clearly does some of the heavy lifting. As Jeff, Eric and others have pointed out - not all applications can utilize multiple GPUs - so the delta between 2x TitanXs vs RR-X plus 1x Titan varies based on your particular workflow.

Cheers - #19