Thread: iMac 27" for red 4k raw edit

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 iMac 27" for red 4k raw edit 
    Hello, i am planning to move from win platform to osx - due to many problems in win and premiere.

My iMac could be:
    27" iMac Retina 5K
    4,0GHz Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost 4,2 GHz
    16 GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM //planning more in future
    256GB flash drive
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB
    Magic Mouse 2
    Apple Keyboard

anybody working on this setup with raw files ? FinalCut Pro X or Premiere ? Will Premiere allow me to edit raw files ?

thank you

Premiere has .R3D support but it depends on your version of RED camera and your version of Premiere as to whether they are compatible.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

I know there is a support for r3d files, but i wanna know if that imac can handle it ;)
    red files be from red scarlet x so max 4k - mostly exporting to 1080p
    Premiere will be latest version

Easy, no prob in premier
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Just be aware that I am currently dealing with a situation with the Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K Retina. I cannot seem to get the OWC 64GB kit to run reliably on this system. 32GB and it seems okay but over that and kernel panics and failed Apple Diagnostics. And that's with replacement modules too. OWC is perplexed but there are other cases of this happening. Some machines run fine. I have one that doesn't. So, if 64GB RAM is in your future, make sure to follow strict procedures for installing the RAM which basically means reseting NVRAM and PRAM after each module is installed. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.
    Steve Sherrick

Thought the iMac RAM maxed out at 32GB?
    Raven XXXX - "BUBBA"

That iMac running fcpx will be a breeze! That system will fly!! Trust me ! I have a 32gb, 4gb video, Non retina with similar specs (2014 model ) .... And it's good awesome , so a new machine will fly!
    www.KaonMultimedia.com
    Director / Producer

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Easy, no prob in premier
    Jake, are u working with same or similiar setup ? what about more layers in premiere - 2 or 3 will play easy too ? what about rendering files without any effects before preview, is it necessary ? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kalechi Noel View Post
    That iMac running fcpx will be a breeze! That system will fly!! Trust me ! I have a 32gb, 4gb video, Non retina with similar specs (2014 model ) .... And it's good awesome , so a new machine will fly!
    thanks for info but do you need to convert r3d files before editing in fcpx ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Just be aware that I am currently dealing with a situation with the Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K Retina. I cannot seem to get the OWC 64GB kit to run reliably on this system. 32GB and it seems okay but over that and kernel panics and failed Apple Diagnostics. And that's with replacement modules too. OWC is perplexed but there are other cases of this happening. Some machines run fine. I have one that doesn't. So, if 64GB RAM is in your future, make sure to follow strict procedures for installing the RAM which basically means reseting NVRAM and PRAM after each module is installed. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.
    thanks, are u running on imac with i7 ? a lot of users ordering with 8gb kit and adding "only" 32gb from OWC