Thread: Delivering in MP4 and FLV from Resolve 12.5?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Delivering in MP4 and FLV from Resolve 12.5? 
    Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Hello everyone,

Quick question. I shot some simple green screen stuff today that is intended to go straight to a custom made, online player. The client has asked me to deliver the keyed files in an Mp4 and an FLV so it can run properly through their system.

I have keyed and corrected my footage in Resolve 12.5 and now I am ready to export. However, I don't know what settings to use? I think my best option is to output two ProRes 4444 files for each clip. Then rewrap one into an MP4 and the other into an FLV. Am I on the right track?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Soooooo, I know I said I had already keyed my footage, but once I started exporting i noticed a big issue.

For some reason, the key looks noticeably better in Resolve than it does once its been exported to ProRes 4444, such to the point that the ProRes is unusable.

I attached a link so you can check it out yourself but I'm stumped. https://postimg.org/gallery/1owtlk44w/

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    Soooooo, I know I said I had already keyed my footage, but once I started exporting i noticed a big issue.

For some reason, the key looks noticeably better in Resolve than it does once its been exported to ProRes 4444, such to the point that the ProRes is unusable.

I attached a link so you can check it out yourself but I'm stumped. https://postimg.org/gallery/1owtlk44w/

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    I haven't had this exact problem before, but I have had a similar one when I did some really heavy correction on a few shots that pushed my computer specs to the max and the export was super different from the preview window. Can you give us a screenshot(s) of your export dialogue box? Maybe someone will be able to shed some light.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

It looks more like a full range/limited range issue. Resolve is displaying full range and your prores is most likely 16-235 range being displayed not taking the range into account.

Or it could be a gamma shift issue.
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Hey everyone!

Thank you for your responses. After a stressful couple of hours (and a helpful pointer from a VFX friend.) I was able to figure it out!

It turns out that it was a slight operator error :)

My friend said that there wasn't enough color separation from the green channel so what I was seeing was the effects of the key bleeding over (and it was gray because of resolves despill).

He suggested that just isolating the green and selectively saturating it before the key wasn't enough. I should also, in the same node that I had isolated the green, boost the green channel in the gamma wheel.

I tried it and it really helped clean up the key once the file was delivered!

Also, I used VLC to get my FLV files, but they didn't have a batch option in the GUI. Only one at a time or batching through a script. Does anyone know another program that can batch transcode, through the GUI, to an FLV wrapper?

Thanks again!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    My friend said that there wasn't enough color separation from the green channel so what I was seeing was the effects of the key bleeding over (and it was gray because of resolves despill).
    I like Resolve for a lot of things, but green screen composites are not one of them. Use something serious like After Effects or Fusion or Maya, and you'll get far better results. Adobe Media Encoder is what I generally see used for converting from ProRes to FLV.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer