Thread: Any Kino Flo Celeb 201 Owners out there?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Any Kino Flo Celeb 201 Owners out there? 
    Hey Guys, I love the Diva 401 kit for lots of reasons and for a light thats been around for a while its still really really handy particularly when working solo.

I'm now looking to invest in some good LED panels and really like the Celeb 201's for there similar DIVA footprint, mounting, and overall similar design. I recently worked with some Creamsource dioppo panels which where quite impressive but when using the bi-color version light output is reduced when dialing in a color other then 5500k where as the celeb's do not. Also the creamsource weight 3 kgs more per panel and I really dont like the yoke style mount.

Anyone own or use the celeb's regularly and what are your thoughts on them replacing a Diva 401 fluorescent kit for overall quality, function, and longevity.

Thanks!

Shaun.

I bought two of them right when they first came out and had them for a couple of years, love 'em. Wonderful lights for interviews. Not a single complaint, other than their price being high, imho.

Thanks Mark, yep they are pricey indeed but I'm hoping like the Diva's they will be usable for years to come. :-)

i love celebs, but kino just came out with a better option in my opinion, lighter weight and old kino design. but my new love is for litegear litemats!

I used the Celebs on a shoot last week, rented. My thoughts were they are more than a bit overpriced compared to the alternatives out there. Their functionality is great, Quality as you would expect. Wasn't impressed with the light output, compared to say Litepanels astra, Lumen per dollar is crazy expensive. But definitely a great product. But there are many other great LED panels out there too.
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

Sorry if I'm going to take you off the Kino's.... but if you are going to spend that kind of money on lights the Skypanels are a better bet. I just got 4 and they are definitely superior to the Kinos.... here is why

1. They are brighter and more powerful. The S60s have more power than the Celeb 400s
    2. They can be programmed with Rosco and Lee gels
    3. They have very precise dimming
    4. The ballast can be removed from the back so they can fit into narrower spaces
    5. Much better build quality

Cons

- slightly heavier
    - slightly more expensive (a few hundred pounds more)
    - No built on barn doors

+1 for Skypanels S60s!!!
    KENNY MOSHER
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    https://www.kmodop.com
    @kmoshowdown

jordan levy yep you are right I was just looking at the Diva lite 20's today and they are virtually a 401 like for like replacement kit. Other then the initial Lux/FC output at close range the Celeb 201 and Diva 20 are fairly close in output after a few meters. Barn doors included are nice too.

Nosa - no worries and thanks! I'm comparing the celeb 200's not the 400's. The Skypanels look amazing but I just cant go that far price wise unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by NOSA OBAYIUWANA View Post
    Sorry if I'm going to take you off the Kino's.... but if you are going to spend that kind of money on lights the Skypanels are a better bet. I just got 4 and they are definitely superior to the Kinos.... here is why

1. They are brighter and more powerful. The S60s have more power than the Celeb 400s
    2. They can be programmed with Rosco and Lee gels
    3. They have very precise dimming
    4. The ballast can be removed from the back so they can fit into narrower spaces
    5. Much better build quality

Cons

- slightly heavier
    - slightly more expensive (a few hundred pounds more)
    - No built on barn doors
    I found the Celebs to be strong and powerful lights, too bright for talent to sit under comfortably at 100%, so I would always have to dim them. It would have been nice to have a bit more punch to allow for a longer throw, but the quality of the light is first-rate.

Never had an issue with their build, even when an assistant dropped one from atop a C stand boom. He didn't screw down the base properly. Went back up, ran like nothing happened. That would NEVER have happened with a Diva, broken glass would be everywhere.

My only complaint was their price per fixture.

I am did not intend to give the impression they are poorly made... I am just trying to say the Skypanels are better built.

Yes I agree... the Kino's give out a good light output.... but again, my opinion is the Skypanels are stronger and throw light further.