Thread: Ultrawide Monitors

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ultrawide Monitors 
    Any suggestions/thoughts on all the new Ultrawide Monitors being released? Are they good for editing/color/post?

There's a new LG monitor that is being released soon. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I'm intrigued but I too would like to know if anyone else has experience with them. Now that Apple is officially out of the monitor business I'd eventually like to upgrade my two Thunderbolt Displays. It would be nice if all the real estate was contained in a single unit.

It may still be too early to tell.

They look great but the curve kind of bother my eyes. Its a beautiful monitor but they also said it wasn't full 4K, more like 3K

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron michaels View Post
    They look great but the curve kind of bother my eyes. Its a beautiful monitor but they also said it wasn't full 4K, more like 3K
    I had to use one with Resolve a month ago at a client's facility, and I got whiplash after 10 hours a day of going back and forth. I'd much rather have one display for GUI and one for scopes, then a separate hero display for the picture.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I had to use one with Resolve a month ago at a client's facility, and I got whiplash after 10 hours a day of going back and forth. I'd much rather have one display for GUI and one for scopes, then a separate hero display for the picture.
    I think you're missing the point of these displays. Their suppose to replace having two monitors like you mentioned. Of course you can use it as a hero display, but most people would just combine the workflow of two monitors into one ultra wide on.

Yeah, I haven't really played around with the curve displays much. I know they make ultrawide monitors with no curve, which would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Rook View Post
    I'm intrigued but I too would like to know if anyone else has experience with them. Now that Apple is officially out of the monitor business I'd eventually like to upgrade my two Thunderbolt Displays. It would be nice if all the real estate was contained in a single unit.

It may still be too early to tell.
    They've been out for some time by now. Would love to jump the gun and get one

Now the flat version of that 38" and I'm in.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Vδth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

3840x1600 is closer to 4K in the H direction. More like 3K in the V direction. But given that there are now multiple generators of 5K Mac monitors (and a new one threatening to be announced any moment), this announcement would have been much more exciting if it had been at least 5K (H). 5974 x 2560 would be so sweet!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by emil_h View Post
    I think you're missing the point of these displays. Their suppose to replace having two monitors like you mentioned. Of course you can use it as a hero display, but most people would just combine the workflow of two monitors into one ultra wide on.
    They can't replace two monitors because there's just not enough space there. Forcing everything into one display does not give you the flexibility to place the monitors where they need to be. If you've ever been in a commercial edit bay or a commercial color bay, you would see they use multiple monitors, each dedicated to do specific things in a specific place. One wide monitor can't duplicate that kind of experience.

I see no point to 5K monitors because you reach the position where readable text becomes extremely impractical. I'm extremely happy with the main 2560x1440 display I have, and the text size is just enough that I can get by. But... I'm using three displays in different directions for different things.

I concede that digital artists, graphics people, animators, VFX artists, sound engineers, editors, and colorists each have different ways of doing things. I'm not convinced there's a "best" way that will fit all of these particular job functions. In the case of color, there's no getting around having at least one display for the GUI, one for scopes, and one calibrated hero display for final color.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer