Thread: Avid codec camera audio issue

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Avid codec camera audio issue 
    Shot some camera tests for an upcoming project and post for the first time has requested rushes in an avid format. Using a CF Weapon I selected DNxHD HQ as a second codec along with the R3D files. Earlier recordings with R3D record only selected the audio from the camera mic was all OK but after switching to the dual record mode the audio on the R3D disappeared when viewing both in RCX 41 and FCPX but was recorded and audible onto the DNxHD file. I checked the manual and I realised I did not do the recommended secure format of the media. Could this be the problem or is this to be expected?

Secondly is there any advantage in using DNxHR HQ over DNxHD HQ assuming both are 1920x1080? Avid confuses me.
    Tom Gleeson

My advice would be to sync up the tracks in Avid, not in Redcine-X Pro. The advantage of syncing the audio in the Avid is that the metadata will hold throughout the entire editing process and will give the sound post crew the ability to quickly reassemble the audio session for editing and mixing in Pro Tools.

If your only copy of the sound is in the camera files, I can't help you.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

It's a drama shoot so we will have double system sound with TC lock and slates so all good there but I am still a little baffled by the audio disappearing from the R3D files. It's not what I expected but if it's normal it's well worth knowing and that's why you test. I will test further but was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this or its peculiar to my setup?
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    ...but after switching to the dual record mode the audio on the R3D disappeared when viewing both in RCX 41 and FCPX but was recorded and audible onto the DNxHD file. I checked the manual and I realised I did not do the recommended secure format of the media. Could this be the problem or is this to be expected?
    What happens if you play the DNxHD file in another program like Resolve or Avid? Have you installed all the Avid DNX drivers?

Secondly is there any advantage in using DNxHR HQ over DNxHD HQ assuming both are 1920x1080? Avid confuses me.
    Yes, DNxHR is a newer codec that goes up to 4K. It can also do HD at fairly high bitrates. It's no different from ProRes doing HD or 2K or 4K -- it's just a compression scheme.

Marc,

Apologies I was not clear but audio is on the DNxHD files but oddly it dissappeared of the R3D files??? I will shoot more next week to see if it happens again. Is DNxHR a more efficient codec than DNxHD?
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Apologies I was not clear but audio is on the DNxHD files but oddly it dissappeared of the R3D files??? I will shoot more next week to see if it happens again. Is DNxHR a more efficient codec than DNxHD?
    It shouldn't be possible for the embedded audio to disappear from an R3D file unless it was specifically deleted and re-saved, as far as I know.

I don't think that DNxHR is necessarily "more efficient" than DNxHD, but it can do something that DNxHD can't do: go beyond 2K resolution. There are companies that will accept DNxHR 444 files for delivery. The advantage of going with it would be it works well on Mac and Windows and doesn't require a special license to use (unlike ProRes).

My philosophy on camera audio is that it's only useful for dailies and for backup. But I've had a few occasions where I was very glad we had been sending audio to the camera when the main recorder failed -- maybe on two takes in 4 years.