Thread: Where(How?) to Import EDL orXML on Current Built (and What Works Best from Avid?)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Where(How?) to Import EDL orXML on Current Built (and What Works Best from Avid?) 
    Hi all. So, I DPed a feature and was put in charge of onlining it (for free, apparently, haha)... I was just doing that in Avid, using the edit sequence but long story short, various issues with how it was transcodes so they want to export out of RedCine. I honestly didn't know we could get even do that, which I would prefer to do since the color never looks accurate AMAed to the R3Ds in Avid, for some reason.

I found a guy who showed how to import an XML on an older build, at 3:35; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshQrameejI

However, for the life of me, I can't find a way to do it on the current build, 41 I think? I can't seem to find anything online about it either, which is why, for the last resort, I'm asking on here.

Also, if anyone happens to know, is XML the ideal way get a sequence into RedCine from Avid? Avid's always been lagging in XML export, only has been able to as of V8 but it's not perfect sometimes. Can we do a regular CMX EDL?

I think I'll know better if I can just find what the import path is on RedCine though.

Thanks!

No, an EDL isn't going to hack it.

What you're trying to do is immensely complicated and involved and basically can't be answered in a simple forum message. It's kind of like saying, "I have $5000 for lights. How do I light this scene?" Too much chaos factor involved.

If you're conforming in Resolve, there are some good Avid -> Resolve workflows out there, all using the original R3Ds in Resolve for the final.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

@Marc - Yeah, I need to just do it in Avid. I got it to work well enough with a regular EDL file out of Avid, but a "File_129" version, CMX and a bunch of others wouldn't work. In the tutorials, everyone seems to want XML but after various trial and error, I figured out that Avid doesn't want to kick out if there are dissolves... oddly (maybe it's a bug in V8). Ideally, I'd like to just online/finish in Avid but for the life of me, I can't get Avid to see the adjustments I make in RedCine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Honeycutt View Post
    @Marc - Yeah, I need to just do it in Avid. I got it to work well enough with a regular EDL file out of Avid, but a "File_129" version, CMX and a bunch of others wouldn't work. In the tutorials, everyone seems to want XML but after various trial and error, I figured out that Avid doesn't want to kick out if there are dissolves... oddly (maybe it's a bug in V8). Ideally, I'd like to just online/finish in Avid but for the life of me, I can't get Avid to see the adjustments I make in RedCine.
    You can see the RedCine adjustments in Resolve. But be aware that we often throw those completely out and start over in color-correction, because generally that's just a ballpark adjustment. So much of what we do in final color involves very subtle adjustments to different parts of the picture, not just one adjustment. The RMD metadata files can come in, but I generally use that only to see what the filmmakers initially saw on set. We give the client a chance to see a before/after comparison, and just take it to the next step. That adjustment may or may not work in the context of the entire film, based on editing as well as how it looks on a calibrated monitor in a controlled space.

One possible compromise would be for you to export transcodes with your color corrections from Redcine-X Pro, and edit the transcodes in Avid. The correction will be baked-in, but you could always reconform at the very end of the project and go back to the Raw files. Many users find that editing goes faster with transcodes, particularly if you're dealing with large amounts of material over a period of months.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

@Marc - Do you know, just for now, what the most ideal EDL is to get out of Avid using RED footage? The only one I could get to work out of EDL Manager seems to be slipping footage when I see the final cut... I don't if the variable is Avid itself or RedCine. I don't have a full version of Davinci... but I just want to know, ideally, what to shoot for... XML, probably, right? I can't that to work, keeps coming up empty in the list... until I remove dissolves, for some reason.