Thread: 8K Monitor !

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 8K Monitor ! 

Hehe, look at all those cables driving the display. Nice prototype. I'm ready to buy once it's under the $3K price point and only takes one or two cables to drive it.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

8K is cool but it's overkill for consuming general entertainment content, sitting back and watching a show from a reasonable distance. 8K is for art, special projects, video walls, cool wow kind of stuff. Shooting it makes sense for me however better stills, future proof content, reframing, over sampling etc. I just don't see Hollywood jumping to 8K releases anytime soon and it will be a while before Best Buy pulls down all the 4K screens in favor of 8K. Where 8K could be really cool is for the use of wide or strange formats, like really wide video screens (8:1 or better) in public or trade shows, or tiling 4 UHD screens with out the need to use 4 cameras. All kinds of creative uses out there I'm sure.
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    When the iPad 2 was released, a friend of mine bought one. But immediately, the thing I noticed was the resolution. No problem for anyone who has not used an iPhone with a retina display. But when you are used to an iPhone, you cannot help but be put off by the lower pixel density of the earlier iPads.

I think if I ever use a 4K monitor or better, I will never be able to go back to HD. So I'm delaying it as much as possible. ;-)
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Hehe, look at all those cables driving the display. Nice prototype. I'm ready to buy once it's under the $3K price point and only takes one or two cables to drive it.
    It's hard to make a $3000 10-bit HD monitor that can be calibrated and look good enough to be used professionally. I'm not convinced that'll be enough for 4K, let alone for 8K. You can wind up getting a really great data monitor that doesn't show you real pictures.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

From a software development standpoint, I love 4K and UHD resolution. 8K would be great in that regard, if the display is large enough. e.g. I have two dev environments open side-by-side and its great. Or my dev environment on one side and a browser on the other side, so I can keep track of what's new on RU while coding away.

27" is a bit small for my scenario since I would want to run 1:1. Right now I am viewing 31" at 4K with the LG. I would like a ~40" 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    It's hard to make a $3000 10-bit HD monitor that can be calibrated and look good enough to be used professionally. I'm not convinced that'll be enough for 4K, let alone for 8K. You can wind up getting a really great data monitor that doesn't show you real pictures.
    I bought this the other day... 12bit in/processing and 10bit display. It´s better than most screens... actually it´s better than any screen I ever seen, that includes the Dolby and sony lower res / smaller professional screens. And as I understand it will sell for less than 3000USD before christmas.

And the oled tech is not really that difficult to upscale, simply make the screens 4 times the size of this one is very much within range an I think we will see that quite soon.
    Attached Images
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Can someone explain to me why they aren't already using a single SUPERMHL cable?

http://www.mhltech.org/technology.aspx

+) 16 bit per colour channel (48bits per pixel)
    +) 120 Hz
    +) rec2020
    +) compact cable
    +) 8k UHD

AJ
    Last edited by Antony Newman; 10-08-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I bought this the other day... 12bit in/processing and 10bit display. It´s better than most screens... actually it´s better than any screen I ever seen, that includes the Dolby and sony lower res / smaller professional screens. And as I understand it will sell for less than 3000USD before christmas.
    How was it calibrated? Can you post the calibration details?
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post

And the oled tech is not really that difficult to upscale, simply make the screens 4 times the size of this one is very much within range an I think we will see that quite soon.
    LG OLED screens are pretty much the standard screens now used by many TV and monitor manufacturers. Yes, you can pick 55" up for less than $3k. Unfortunately, all these monitors display nasty black artifacts, that really not a deal breaker for the home use, but still pretty poor display for the professional use. Also, apparently in HDR mode the brightness goes down to around 700 nits after only about 500 hours. Said that, Panasonic uses the very same screen on their professional unit 65CZ950, but it cost around $11K. They spent a lot of time working on the black artifact issue and it is much better, than standard LG TV. Apparently there is an even newer Panasonic model now, but it just came out and there is not that much info on it. I suspect in about a year, you may be able to finally buy a proper OLED Panasonic monitor suitable for grading, hopefully for around $5K.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel