Thread: New Red Rocket for 8K

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Red Rocket for 8K 
    Anybody thinking that there might be a new Red Rocket coming sometime that is improved or made for 8K? Thoughts?

Take a look at Jarred's post in the Update thread. Re-posted below:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    As for the RocketX and Helium.. as you know we have been focusing our efforts on GPU decode for the last while.

So yes Rocket-X plus a good GPU is gonna get you around 24fps Full 8K on Helium.

But you can also get close to that full 8K 24fps with a new Titan-X GPU and Intel's largests core Xeon in a dual cpu box without the Rocket-X.

I love you Rocket-X but in a year or two I think we should be at the point where GPU + CPU puts you out to pasture.

Nvidia is just dominating right now and their GPU's are advancing so quickly it's the horse I would bet on.

Great Stacey!! :)
    Raphael Varandas
    DCINE Digital Cinema
    Cameras, Glasses, Post Solutions on Set and a GREAT coffee ;)

SAO PAULO-BRASIL +5511.55498419 (Office)
    +5511.9990DCINE +55119970DCINE ( Mobile's)

MONSTRO Storm Trooper
    MONSTRO CF
    HELIUM's CF
    GEMINI OG #013
    GEMINI

SUMMICRON C SET
    SUPERSPEEDS MKII
    UP and more...

www.dcine.tv

raphael@dcine.tv
    atendimento@dcine.tv

Not gonna happen
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    Take a look at Jarred's post in the Update thread. Re-posted below:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Thanks for the info! Thanks Stacey!

Q1) Last time I read about the Rocket-X ... there were 3 programmable 'banks', and there was at least 1 of them that had Not yet been utilised. Is that still the case?

Q2) IF the Rocket-X requires input from a GPU to achieve 24fps @ 8K,
    AND one of the Banks of the Rocket-X is being used to perform Video output,
    AND the RRX is more efficient than a GPU...

Perhaps there is an option here for RED to switch all the Rocket-X banks to RAW processing (ie Remove the Video output capabilities), and let the GPU to the VIDEO output.

Q3) If the Rocket-X is PCIe x 16 and the speed of a single lane is 2.5Gb ... does this mean that Thunderbolt 3 = bidirectional 40 Gb can completely max out the data ingesting / transmission of the Rocket-X?

... could a Rocket-X still have great value for chunching 8k on a 15" MBP Late 2015 if hooked up over Thunderbolt 3?

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    Q1) Last time I read about the Rocket-X ... there were 3 programmable 'banks', and there was at least 1 of them that had Not yet been utilised. Is that still the case?

Q2) IF the Rocket-X requires input from a GPU to achieve 24fps @ 8K,
    AND one of the Banks of the Rocket-X is being used to perform Video output,
    AND the RRX is more efficient than a GPU...

Perhaps there is an option here for RED to switch all the Rocket-X banks to RAW processing (ie Remove the Video output capabilities), and let the GPU to the VIDEO output.

Q3) If the Rocket-X is PCIe x 16 and the speed of a single lane is 2.5Gb ... does this mean that Thunderbolt 3 = bidirectional 40 Gb can completely max out the data ingesting / transmission of the Rocket-X?

... could a Rocket-X still have great value for chunching 8k on a 15" MBP Late 2015 if hooked up over Thunderbolt 3?

AJ
    Yeah, I think they recently did a firmware update and I thought that was to make it TB3 compatible and work with 8k Vv footage, at the very least.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

The rocket-X handles the debayer only, all the scaling/framing and color grading part of the transcode process is done by the GPU, if the Rocket-x can potentially transcode 6k at 100+ fps, with enough resources (full Gen3 PCI-e x16 lane, 12-core CPU, GTX 1080ti, 64+ GB RAM, and HBA SAS Raid volume), then it can handle 8k at half that speed or better.

Obviously the bottleneck in the process is the host system resources, even a new MacBook Pro with TB3 falls woefully short on resources and bandwidth.

Most of us are only using a fraction of the potential of a rocket-x, so a new and more powerful card would not effectively help in the slightest.
    Last edited by Shiblon Wixom; 11-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.

9. #9 White paper please 
    It would be great to get a "state of the solid state" report on the RR-X. Unless I missed it, there has never been a white paper or other tech document that breaks down the operational parameters of the RR-X and how it can best be leveraged in a complete system configuration. The RR-X may be a footnote in 5 years, but for those of us who have one it would be nice to have some guidance when assembling resources and designing workflows.

I take Jarred's note about the trajectory of R3D file handling NOT being one trick pony accelerator cards. He goes on to laud nVidia GPU development - does that mean that Rob and the RedTeam are looking to leverage CUDA vs OpenCL? Does it mean that AMD GPUs are essentially going to handicap Macs (assuming Apple sticks with AMD) in terms of R3D processing? What difference, if any, will there be with using TB3 for RR-X or nVidia Pascal in external enclosures vs TB2 with R3Ds? Is it more about data rates or compute cycles? Does the RR-X take load off the CPU that is then available for other processing tasks?

Would giving us more technical info provide any competitive advantage to other manufacturers? If not...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    It would be great to get a "state of the solid state" report on the RR-X. Unless I missed it, there has never been a white paper or other tech document that breaks down the operational parameters of the RR-X and how it can best be leveraged in a complete system configuration. The RR-X may be a footnote in 5 years, but for those of us who have one it would be nice to have some guidance when assembling resources and designing workflows.

I take Jarred's note about the trajectory of R3D file handling NOT being one trick pony accelerator cards. He goes on to laud nVidia GPU development - does that mean that Rob and the RedTeam are looking to leverage CUDA vs OpenCL? Does it mean that AMD GPUs are essentially going to handicap Macs (assuming Apple sticks with AMD) in terms of R3D processing? What difference, if any, will there be with using TB3 for RR-X or nVidia Pascal in external enclosures vs TB2 with R3Ds? Is it more about data rates or compute cycles? Does the RR-X take load off the CPU that is then available for other processing tasks?

Would giving us more technical info provide any competitive advantage to other manufacturers? If not...

Cheers - #19
    I agree with everything you said. I bought a used ROCKET X in hopes of stopping the new computer merry-go-round.

Once it is totally enabled (if not already) then it is just the newest interface to get the ROCKET X to meet or exceed new computers with GPU cards, I would hope.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith