Thread: New Red Rocket for 8K

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why on earth would anyone by a RR-X? Even used. The GTX1080 rips it to shreds. And in a PC you run 2 or 3 of them for even more power!
    You could get 6 GTX1080's for the price of one new RR-x I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jackson View Post
    Why on earth would anyone by a RR-X? Even used. The GTX1080 rips it to shreds. And in a PC you run 2 or 3 of them for even more power!
    Because not everyone happens to have a workstation class PC with multiple CPU's. A number of tasks are done on the CPU (particularly when working with larger frame sizes), so no matter how many GPUs or Red Rocket X's you have, you will run into playback/processing limitations with anything based on a single CPU for anything larger than, say, 1/8 or 1/4 debayer. That would mean all trashcan Macs, all laptops, and most users' PCs. Jarred mentions this in his statement, but most people here seem so completely preoccupied with GPU power that they're ignoring it. He's not suggesting that a "standard" PC or a laptop is a substitute today because it isn't. He's talking to people who are using workstation class machines to do large scale processing and DI work, not to cameramen or DITs who are doing small transcoding jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jackson View Post
    The 1080's are fine, but no, they are not faster than a RR-X.

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Because not everyone happens to have a workstation class PC with multiple CPU's. A number of tasks are done on the CPU (particularly when working with larger frame sizes), so no matter how many GPUs or Red Rocket X's you have, you will run into playback/processing limitations with anything based on a single CPU for anything larger than, say, 1/8 or 1/4 debayer. That would mean all trashcan Macs, all laptops, and most users' PCs. Jarred mentions this in his statement, but most people here seem so completely preoccupied with GPU power that they're ignoring it. He's not suggesting that a "standard" PC or a laptop is a substitute today because it isn't. He's talking to people who are using workstation class machines to do large scale processing and DI work, not to cameramen or DITs who are doing small transcoding jobs.
    Any recent changes to Red Rocket-X performance on single core machines? I'm running a 7700K at 4.7GHz and am hoping to get Helium 8K 24fps playback at half or full debayer by adding a RR-X over TB3. My rig has 64GB 2400 RAM, 2x GTX1080 (1 is running at 95% performance of the other over TB3) and SSD RAIDs. I'm really happy with the system except being stuck with 1/8 res to get 24fps playback on Helium / RC-X. I think I'm maxed out lane-wise with the 7700K so a RR-X may not help much. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Corey Robson
    1x Epic-W

we have a 1080ti + RRX in an older Z820 and get 8k at 1/4
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Ok thanks Greg, that's unfortunate.
    Corey Robson
    1x Epic-W

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Robson View Post
    Any recent changes to Red Rocket-X performance on single core machines? I'm running a 7700K at 4.7GHz and am hoping to get Helium 8K 24fps playback at half or full debayer by adding a RR-X over TB3. My rig has 64GB 2400 RAM, 2x GTX1080 (1 is running at 95% performance of the other over TB3) and SSD RAIDs. I'm really happy with the system except being stuck with 1/8 res to get 24fps playback on Helium / RC-X. I think I'm maxed out lane-wise with the 7700K so a RR-X may not help much. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    1/2 res 8K? not a chance not even anywhere close... with the 1080's and/or that CPU with RRX nope. 3 Titan XP's plus RRX with a multi core dual CPU config would get u there with room for fx at 1/2 res. But yes your number of lanes will never allow it, so you'd have to start a new build with dual xeon or a lesser build starting a single only 40 lane multi i7 for much weaker performance at 1/2 res, both of which are significantly more expensive than your 7700K. This all before talking displays, storage, etc. A lot of people have asked this type of question and the only way right now is to spend at minimum $20k with a system based on no less than the above mentioned components.
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

This is the biggest issue with 8k....decoding it. I've got a system with dual 1080Ti's, but the bottle neck is the CPU. It's an Intel® Core i7® 6950x Processor 3.0GHz, watercooled & oc'd to 4.2GHz, but maxed out when working in 8k. Machine is spec'd for 4k, so all good, but nice to know what it can and can't do.

For 8k+, does it have to be dual xenon???