Thread: MXF proxies quality

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I always work in "green/green" with DNxHD36 for offline. When it comes to speed and editorial flow, nothing comes close to that quality at that speed.

But it still doesn't help solving why Weapon is recording LB in such tremendous low quality which ends up unsuable.

One of my strong sale-points why people want to work with me is that I can deliver Avid ready workflow while shooting and this is seriously something that lowers my reputation as a quality provider. It needs to be fixed asap.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Red is looking into why the artifacts only exist with DNxHD 36 and not 115, 175, etc. Stay tuned.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Is this fixed? Seems like I will be changing to a windows workflow, and then also dnxhr.

Not yet, but the issue seems to be with DNxHD and not DNxHR. The only time DNxHD LB (36) is selectable is when aspect ratio is 16:9 and 2K is selected for proxy. I need to do more testing on this when I get back off the road. There are other issues still pending with the Avid AMA plug-in and spanned MXF files that is also still being looked into from the Avid side, but have not heard back.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Just recorded MXF DNXHR SQ 2048x1080 from monstro 8k with a 320 Iso signal that was clean as it could be ( 3200 color balance and lights)

i was surprised to see way more artefacts than with the same prores of comparable file size out of the weapon ( or a pores from resolve/RCX) ( -> not really many artifacts but they are there if you watch anything bigger than on a 11" monitor full hd. )

to my knowledge ProRes 422 should be about the same data rate than DNXHR SQ when both are at 1920x1080

is there still something wrong in how the Weapon encodes DNXHR?

we had FW 7.0.0

i did not try LQ yet, but i can believe that this would look not very good if SQ looks with artefacts like this.

also i don't know if HQ will kill all artefacts, but since data rate is only slightly hither than SQ i would guess there is still artefacts.

it would be great if that could be looked into and fixed, because until then ProRes would be the only real world work solution, until then dnxHR is not real world ready yet i in my opinion :)

merry xmas from germany
    RAW, well done

http://www.welldone.tv

6. #16 solved? 
    anybody knows if this has been solved?
    RAW, well done

http://www.welldone.tv

yesterday i was testing the in camera MXF the first time and before reading this thread the editor and i came to conclusion that the HR HQ and HR SQ look fine and the HR LB is quite blocky.
    way more blocky than the DNxHD 36 used to be.

best wishes and kind regards,
    martin

8. #18 DNxHD/HR still blocky 
    My 2 cents:

It's October 2018, and I was just handed DNxHD/HR HQX, 1920x1080 MXF files. Camera was Epic-W 8K Helium on latest 7.1 firmware. Issues still remain.

Pulled them into Resolve:
    Showed up with 16 channels of audio - ?

Pulled them into Premiere:
    Audio not recognized, video OK

Linked in Avid MC 8.8.5:
    Linked fine, consolidated fine 2 out of 3 tries. The one time the audio wasn't recognized and the consolidated video would not play.
    Also, audio TC started at 00:00:36:00
    Video TC (appropriately) started at 10:46:18:00. Odd.

On the blocky subject = unusable. HD files were shot in log, and blockiness in the bokeh was visible everywhere before adding color/contrast in Resolve. Added contrast and color only made it more so. Images with blockiness were viewed in Resolve 14.3 on $30,000 Canon OLED (and Apple Cinema, and MacBook Pro Retina).

These files were viewed on both Windows and Mac systems (not that it matters).

I can only assume RED is having trouble with its DNxHD/HR compression.

Has anyone had any luck with good Avid proxies? With picture and sound? And by this I mean generated from within the DSMC2 cameras.