Thread: Red Play = Red Ray Jr.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Play = Red Ray Jr. 
    Okay, I have read a bit about Red Ray and think it will be amazing.

But, what I'm thinking will be really great for viewing dailies would be a "Red Play"--Just a box, that only plays R3Ds with a remote that you connect a Red Raid or Red Flash directly to and hit play (maybe even also plug a CF in)

It would have 720p and 1080p out only. It would have a remote and give users the ability to show timecode or not, and VCR controls.

Think of the workflow: Shoot, backup, backup again, set aside to view dailies. Or you could even consolidate shots to a single drive to view dailies.

Then, to watch dailies, just plug the drive into the Red Play which would remain connected to a 1080p monitor with a remote sitting on it, and hit play. Rather than play shot by shot, it would play as a continuous stream.

You see glorious 1080p directly from the full R3Ds, with sound and timecode.

Want to dump to tap--pull the tape directly off of it.

I know, technically, these features would essentially be available in with Red Ray, but I think this is a lot less ambitious, could give a way to preview, prepare the technology and could really help productions now.

What do you think?

yes !!! Love it!!
    Obin Olson
    Director - Editor - DP - UNKNONWN CALLER - 2014
    http://vimeo.com/78124989
    www.the-forgery.com
    www.fatalflawmovie.com
    www.mobijokes.tv
    'These Red Guys - like nothing I have ever seen!'
    Assimilate Scratch, it's like working in the future, right now. ( no they did not pay me to say that)

We've talked a few times about something like that. Adding RS422 would make it an ideal bridging device for post production also.
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek

Better yet - how about a small edit-deck ala Sony's portable HD edit decks:

- insert CF, or connect external Red drive
    - automatic backup of all footage to a built-in SSD (at least 256 GB)
    - quick edit of your footage
    - preview on a built-in 10~12" 1080P monitor
    - external output to video village
    - between $5~7K should be doable...

Now that would be something... :)
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

I definately like it, I'm just looking for something easy to ship fast and would be potentially cheaper.

A simple box that you plug a Red Raid drive into and connect the other side to any HDMI tv.

I'm thinking of more the form factor of:

Simple controls, easy to ship. Pictured is a portable DVD from Hard Disk playback unit, but you get the picture.

Maybe it doesn't even have a CF card slot, but a USB that you could connect an external card reader to.

Simple, elegant, fast to ship!

Would someone please step up to the plate and start making more RED vcr style products? how about a CF backup 320GB drive that so happens to play red files at lets say 512 resolution or even less..and a port to connect and offload the RED DRIVE too.....and a video OUT port for preview playback?
    Obin Olson
    Director - Editor - DP - UNKNONWN CALLER - 2014
    http://vimeo.com/78124989
    www.the-forgery.com
    www.fatalflawmovie.com
    www.mobijokes.tv
    'These Red Guys - like nothing I have ever seen!'
    Assimilate Scratch, it's like working in the future, right now. ( no they did not pay me to say that)

It's something we'd like to be able to do with the SolidStore, but currently with the features available in the SDK it's not something we're confident we can deliver. There are, however, ways we could upgrade the SolidStore later to support simple playback if the software solutions become available to us, and our hardware has the necessary power.

Otherwise, depending on what happens with RED's own offerings it is a direction we could look to head in with another product. But to be honest without the level of understanding and custom hardware that RED has, it would be hard to deliver something that really performs well at a good price.
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek