Thread: Help! Google Drive Desktop Uploader won't sync RED Footage

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Help! Google Drive Desktop Uploader won't sync RED Footage 
    I'm testing out Google Drive as an offsite storage archive, and I ran into an issue today where Google Drive desktop uploader won't sync RED footage, specifically .RDC folders and .R3D files.

I'm running El Capitan on a 5K iMac Retina and attempting to upload tons of clips from a RED Epic MX camera.

Has anyone else run into this issue / found a workaround?

I'm considering zipping all the RED Footage folders and uploading those (which should work), but that would be a huge pain for short term local storage and not really conducive to my workflow. Also, I have successfully synced tons of .mov and .mp4 clips, so I know my uploader is working and connection is strong.

Any help is much appreciated!
    Burke Doeren
    BURKE DOEREN PRODUCTIONS
    Santa Monica, CA
    Director | Cinematographer | Visual Effects
    www.BurkeDoeren.com

Google drive Supports a limited list of file types.

if you put your footage in .zip archives you might be able to sync it.
    - Scarlet 996 -
    Sigma 18-35mm f1.8
    Nikon 50mm 1.4

Thanks Todd!

I e-mailed Google Support about this too - hopefully they'll add .r3d as an accepted filetype. In the meantime, I'll try zipping them (which I'm pretty sure will work)
    Burke Doeren
    BURKE DOEREN PRODUCTIONS
    Santa Monica, CA
    Director | Cinematographer | Visual Effects
    www.BurkeDoeren.com

I've been testing Google Drive too. I've come across a few issues. I've been testing the web interface using Chrome on my Mac. Using Chrome I can upload .R3d files. That doesn't seem to be an issue. I can drag across folders of files to the Google drive webpage - (Note: Safari doesn't support folder upload but Chrome does). Downloading .R3d files one at a time works fine from what I've observed. I've tested some files and they playback fine. So perhaps there's an issue with the Google app rather than the Google Drive backend.

However, the issue comes when you want to download multiple files. When you want to download multiple files, Google automatically creates a .zip archive. Problem is the limit for a .zip archive is 2gb. It doesn't warn you of this however. It just ignores any files after the 2gb limit but behaves as if everything is cool. To make matters more confusing, there's no warning or errors reported during this process. So you end up with a .zip file with a bunch of file missing files inside it. This could cause major confusion if you were unaware that this was happening.

So bottomline is, using Google Drive and Chrome uploading folders of .r3d files seems fine. But to download you have to do them one file at a time to avoid the limitations of the zip archive.

These are just my initial observations - obviously you should do your own tests and be certain that it works for you. As Google is not really designed for this purpose, I would never trust a service like this as the only backup location. I'd always keep multiple drives and keep the cloud as a bonus backup or as a way to access the files remotely.

I'm looking at www.Backblaze.com as an option instead. That looks more like the appropriate service. I have a feeling Google is not the answer for this problem.

If you have G Suite use an application called Insync. It will allow you to upload/download without the issues and zipping that arise within Google Drive itself.

Our setup:

Pegasus R6/12TB where dailies are downloaded
    Use Insync to "sync" pegasus with Google Drive
    Upload dailies via Drive to a redundant project folder within Drive

It takes a little bit of getting used to, but works smoothly and efficiently once you have it rolling. It's also handy as a file backup system, it'll read project files that have been updated and upload the newest version on a near realtime basis.