Thread: Color Space Issue - Specifically with DPX - Specifically with Premiere

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Color Space Issue - Specifically with DPX - Specifically with Premiere 
    I am having a gamma issue with my RED footage, but only as it related to DPX exports from Adobe Premiere.

In Premiere I have selected RedLogFilm as my Gamma space, not other modifiers have been applied to the R3D file.
    I then export the DPX files from premiere. However; when the VFX artist I am sending them to imports them into NUKE, he selects RedLog as the gamma space; the color does NOT display correctly for him.

However, if I export an XML from Premiere and import the timeline into Redcine-x, Select RedLogFilm as my gamma space and then export the DPX from there, it's perfect when it comes into Nuke.

Has anyone encountered this workflow issue? We do very little VFX work that requires us to send it out in DPX; so I am just not very experience with it.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik O'Neill View Post
    I am having a gamma issue with my RED footage, but only as it related to DPX exports from Adobe Premiere.

In Premiere I have selected RedLogFilm as my Gamma space, not other modifiers have been applied to the R3D file.
    I then export the DPX files from premiere. However; when the VFX artist I am sending them to imports them into NUKE, he selects RedLog as the gamma space; the color does NOT display correctly for him.

However, if I export an XML from Premiere and import the timeline into Redcine-x, Select RedLogFilm as my gamma space and then export the DPX from there, it's perfect when it comes into Nuke.

Has anyone encountered this workflow issue? We do very little VFX work that requires us to send it out in DPX; so I am just not very experience with it.
    Premiere is not handling material good, I've encountered lots of issues with things when transcoding and using both Red and other material. DNxHR for example has a gamma issue every time I use it but not DNxHD etc. I would stay away from using Premiere for anything critical, better to use EDLs and XML lists and do proper exports through Redcine-X or Resolve.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Premiere is not handling material good, I've encountered lots of issues with things when transcoding and using both Red and other material. DNxHR for example has a gamma issue every time I use it but not DNxHD etc. I would stay away from using Premiere for anything critical, better to use EDLs and XML lists and do proper exports through Redcine-X or Resolve.
    Agreed. In the past I have just done with workflow out of Resolve anyways; I just wanted to know if I was doing something incorrectly inside of premiere or if it was the software itself.
    Thanks!

Did you export DPX as FULL range from premiere?

RedLogFilm is not the same as RedLog...

Quote Originally Posted by Filip Orlandic View Post
    Did you export DPX as FULL range from premiere?

RedLogFilm is not the same as RedLog...
    Yes Full range.
    Yes sorry, In Nuke he would select RedLogFilm