Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: REDWideGamutRGB and Log3G10

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Yeah, that process is what I've been using with the output LUT. But I'm a bit confused about the preview builds workings. Is it supposed to calculate for a color space automatically? Because I still seem to need an output LUT in order to see a proper image.
    Also, did I miss some link to a IPP2 Preview cube? Is that the latest in the Cube development we were talking about earlier?
    In REDCine-X IPP2 Preview build you'd select colour space: Rec709 gamma space: BT1886 to get it to do the calculations for a proper output image. That will be the equivalent of doing a raw development to RWG/Log3G10 and then applying the cube lut, but done as a direct process rather.

When you fire up the REDCine-X IPP2 preview build, you'll get those as the default settings.

Graeme
    Attached Images
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

This is great. Nice to see it implements Graeme. congratulations!

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    This is great. Nice to see it implements Graeme. congratulations!

David
    Thanks David. First step out of the door and now heads down for the full-on implementation!

Graeme

Why bt1886 by default when software and hardware adoption is nearly nonexistent?

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    BT1886 is the standardized EOTF of a HD monitor, and what any HD monitor should be calibrated to. "Reference electro-optical transfer function for flat panel displays used in HDTV studio production". I don't think there's anything more appropriate to use.

Graeme

Anyone have a link to just the preview lut so I can try it out on some RED One MX footage in Resolve? I looked through the threads but didn't see one -- thanks in advance!
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423
    LOMO standard speed 18,22,35,50,75
    LOMO squarefront anamorphic 35,50,80

I second that ---How to get the lut (widegamutRGB Log3G10) for use in Resolve

How does it work with playback in camera?
    Did some quick tests today and playback looks different from capture or preview, correct?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    In REDCine-X IPP2 Preview build you'd select colour space: Rec709 gamma space: BT1886 to get it to do the calculations for a proper output image. That will be the equivalent of doing a raw development to RWG/Log3G10 and then applying the cube lut, but done as a direct process rather.

When you fire up the REDCine-X IPP2 preview build, you'll get those as the default settings.

Graeme
    Gottcha, though I was supposed to select LOG3G10 as gamma, which would require a LUT output or grade.

On top of all this, do you know if Blackmagic is working on implementing all of this in their color management for Resolve? We have support for RWG/LOG3G10 in there, but the timeline color space and other management settings do not. But maybe that's not needed with RWG/LOG3G10? If set to a timeline color space of REC709, then that will work according to the output LUT choosen, right? Say I have a RWG/LOG3G10 to 709 Lut and color management settings set to REC709 2.4 Gamma and my screen calibrated to 2.4, that should be everything needed for proper 709 grading outputs? If later I'm changing a grade to HDR and UHD standards, I just choose a corresponding color space within Resolves color management and change the output LUT to a RGW/LOG3G10 to "whatever HDR standard may be" together with a screen supporting it.

That would be it, right?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    How does it work with playback in camera?
    Did some quick tests today and playback looks different from capture or preview, correct?
    Camera playback does support the LUT.

Graeme