Thread: Laptop (Windows replacing MBP)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Laptop (Windows replacing MBP) 
    Been working my mid-2012 MBP more on the road lately and it just can't hang. It's a mix of it being on the older side and jumping from mostly 1080 to now 4k timelines, and also working with only 4k+ source material. I built a hackintosh tower about a year ago but I'm ready to switch to Windows across the board.

I've been out of the Windows game for a while and I'm looking for some advice on a laptop to use while traveling. I'm usually not doing too much heavy lifting on it, but I will need to occasionally load in a project from my power and work on the go. The laptop will also be used as a DIT machine (mostly just data management and not constantly transcodes) heavily while traveling. I do most of my work in Premiere and After Effects. Other laptop basics like email, web, etc as usual. 15" is the largest I can go for a variety of reasons.

I have been eying up the Razer Blade (FullHD, 1tb) but wanted to see if there were other suggestions. All help or advice is welcome. As usual, thanks!
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

Check out Jarred's FB post from Nov.22nd.

"Some numbers and some thoughts testing all the new laptops.
    1 min 8K 2:1 to 16 Bit 4k DPX FULL Quality render time:
    Old Macbook Pro 2015 - 10 min 58 seconds
    New Macbook pro 2016 - 7min 52sec .
    Dell XPS 15 - 8 min 58 sec.
    Razer Blade internal GTX 1060 - 7min 12sec
    Razer Blade + Razer Core + GTX1080. - 6 min 20sec
    Razer Blade + Razer Core + RedRocket-X - 0 min 59 sec.
    12 core Trashcan 128gb mem - 3min -15sec.
    PC 10 core 3ghz w GTX 1080 128gb mem - 2min 25sec.
    Still gotta set up the XPS with the Core but here are some random thoughts after spending a lot of time with these 3 systems in front
    of me over the last few days.
    -----
    Macbook Pro 2016
    -----
    Most expensive.. by far.. and as much as I want to hate it.. it is the one I find myself picking up for pretty much everything.
    Best screen of the bunch. Awesome for Photoshop. Awesome for web and email and FCPX seems to be faster than it should be.
    Battery life great. And I love the keyboard that everyone else seems to hate.
    Thunderbolt 3 integration is a clusterfuck. As in it just doesn’t work. But eventually if they fix that..look out.
    Its great being able to charge the laptop from any of the ports on either the left and right side.
    Touch bar adds an extra step to do pretty much anything. I miss the old keys.
    Internal SSD ( 2TB on mine ) is stupid fast. Stupid Stupid Stupid fast.
    Love you Apple but Fuck you Apple for taking away the SD slot. That screwed me so many times this weekend.
    And it’s why I don’t have a photo for this post.
    ------
    Razer Blade
    ------
    Best Thunderbolt integration of all of them.. just works with any card you put in right out of the box.
    If you have a Rocket-x.. the performance is mind blowing. As a little crunch box with a Core.. it can’t be beat.
    I really liked this little thing.
    Gotta give props to Nvidia. The 1060 blazes. Murders Everything else.
    It still does still feel like a weird gaming pc though. The 1 inch bezel around the screen screams 1995.
    The fact it doesn’t charge via USB-C breaks my expectations of what a laptop in 2016 needs to have.
    The Razer Blade Pro.. Coming in December.. likely is the one worth waiting for if you can deal with the size.
    ------
    Dell XPS 15
    ------
    This is just an all around great machine. It’s just good.
    All the right ports both new and old in all the right places. And the only one here with a SD slot.
    But the fact its a year old and just a step behind shows when compared against the others. If you have your eye on this one.. I would wait for a refresh in the next few months.. if they add a 1060 and a new CPU.. it will be hard to beat."
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

I'm also looking at moving over to windows. For my mobile station I am also looking at the New Microsoft Surface book and for my edit bay. Boxx, HP z840, custom built...I didn't have this many options with apple so it's a lot of research.
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

Cameron, thanks for the copy/paste! Actually really helpful to read the post without FB formatting. Yeah that whole thread he did actually made me seriously consider switching. That's where I picked up my current frontrunner, the Razer Blade.

I know Phil Holland runs a pretty decked out MSI that would be a bit much for my needs (mostly price haha). Really just trying to understand the marketplace. Last time I looked at Windows machines was in 2006 when Compaq was the frontrunner for towers...and laptops were still like a ton of bricks.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

REDuser Sponsor
    I'm a Lenovo partner and can sell Lenovo laptops, pricing deals don't kick in until 5+ units or so, but I can get standard discounts if anyone wants some one offs.

The P70 workstations are pretty good, but they use NVIDIA Quadro, not GeForce. They also have Thunderbolt 3 and can use Xeon processors or i7 etc. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p-series/p70/

Tech Specs
    Processor
    Intel® Xeon® Processors for Mobile Workstations
    6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro - Lenovo recommends Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro)
    Graphics
    NVIDIA® Quadro® M600M 2GB
    NVIDIA® Quadro® M3000M 4GB
    NVIDIA® Quadro® M4000M 4GB
    NVIDIA® Quadro® M5000M 8GB
    Memory
    4 SODIMM Slots, 64 GB Max., 2133 MHz
    Max. Storage Devices - 4
    1 TB HDD
    1 TB PCIe / SATA SSD
    Optical Drive
    DVD-RW
    Up to 1 TB HDD with Bay Adapter
    RAID
    0, 1
    Power Supply
    170 W, 230 W
    Battery
    8 Cell (96 WHr)
    Dimensions (W x D x H)
    (inches) : 16.4" x 10.8" x 1.17" - 1.2"
    (mm) : 416 x 275.5 x 29.9 - 31.5
    Display
    FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, 300 nits
    FHD Touch (1920 x 1080) IPS, 270 nits
    4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, 300 nits
    Weight
    Starting at 7.56 lbs (3.43 kg)
    Color Sensor
    X-Rite® Pantone® Color Calibrator (Optional)
    Keyboard
    ThinkPad® Precision Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and Backlit (Optional)
    Ports
    (4) USB 3.0, 1 Always-on Charging
    (1) HDMI 1.4
    (1) Mini DisplayPort™ 1.2
    (2) Thunderbolt™ 3
    (1) RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
    (1) Docking Connector
    (1) Microphone / Headphone Combo Jack
    (1) Smart Card Reader (Optional)
    (1) ExpressCard / 34 mm
    (1) SDXC
    WLAN
    Intel® 8260 2 x 2 a/c + Bluetooth® 4.1 vPro
    Intel® 8260 2 x 2 a/c + Bluetooth® 4.1
    WWAN
    Sierra EM7445 - 4G LTE-A
    Media Card Reader
    Integrated 4-in-1 SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)

Would these be something people would be interested in? I can look into the pricing on Alienwares too with the desktop 1060's built in as well since I'm also a Dell partner.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

REDuser Sponsor
    BTW what is the opinion of Quadro vs GeForce to you guys?
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

what bitdepth / color space(s) on the 4K monitor?
    Would help if you could benchmark using similar test as Jarred posted
    Order of magnitude proce? ;)
    Any support for Linux?

REDuser Sponsor
    In all honesty I'm a data storage guy, but just have access to these other products within my re-seller authorizations for the enterprise stuff. I have an interest in laptops (gaming usually) though and was eyeballing the P70 due to the specs just being a monster. I checked about the Linux support and it looks like it's for Windows 7 or 10 only. Sorry if my answers aren't on par with Jarred's, I'm just a humble hardware reseller.

I did find a good read about the P70 here http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lap...o-thinkpad-p70

A little snippet about the display, if this is anything positive or not:

""If you configure it with either the 4K panel or the 1080p touch screen, the P70 also comes with an X-Rite Pantone Color Calibrator built into its deck. The preloaded Pantone software sits in the system tray and reminds you once a week to recalibrate the display. To do so, you just shut the lid for a couple of minutes and let the sensor work its magic. Graphics professionals will appreciate the ability to choose a white point and a tone response, but we left the software at its default settings, which looked quite accurate.

Perhaps because of the calibrator, the P70 registered a really strong Delta-E error rating of 0.69 (zero is perfect), which is much better than the category average (2.3), the HP ZBook Studio (2.4) and the Dell Precision 5510 (2.6). ""
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Finegan View Post
    Any support for Linux?
    Yes, after a fashion. You will not have FULL functionality, but most of it should work with minimal effort. Lenovo does not ship that model with Linux, but third-party resellers like Emperor Linux will custom-build, install, and support your config for ya. The only thing that (so far as I know) wouldn't work out of the box would be the color calibration hardware and Linux just doesn't have that bit of software together since it's not a priority.

Im living in the same world right now. Jared's post also led me to finally consider a PC laptop. Then my current Macbook Pro died. We moved one of our towers over to PC last year. I have been doing a lot of reading and finally settled on a going with a decked out Alienware 17 inch R4. I looked really hard at the razor blade vs the alienware 15. I finally decided that the ports and the price made more sense on the Alienware. The trade of is the size. They are huge. I figured I would give it a shot. I will be using it with their external GPU box which works different than the razor.
    I get it this week and will be doing some test. We also have a new decked out iMac and a pretty beefy PC that kind of puts the iMac to shame. I should be able to get a pretty good feel for where it lands power wise. Cost wise dell is running some year end deals and it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck!