Thread: Laptop (Windows replacing MBP)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Tyron View Post
    Im living in the same world right now. Jared's post also led me to finally consider a PC laptop. Then my current Macbook Pro died. We moved one of our towers over to PC last year. I have been doing a lot of reading and finally settled on a going with a decked out Alienware 17 inch R4. I looked really hard at the razor blade vs the alienware 15. I finally decided that the ports and the price made more sense on the Alienware. The trade of is the size. They are huge. I figured I would give it a shot. I will be using it with their external GPU box which works different than the razor.
    I get it this week and will be doing some test. We also have a new decked out iMac and a pretty beefy PC that kind of puts the iMac to shame. I should be able to get a pretty good feel for where it lands power wise. Cost wise dell is running some year end deals and it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck!
    Good to hear. Unfortunately size is still a major consideration due to my heavy flying needs and the fact that every bag I have is configured for 15" laptops. Since you're running OSX and Windows on a few machines, do you have a hard drive system? I'm only now looking into HFS vs NTFS. If I can, it'd be ideal to work on drives that are HFS for handing off to clients but I don't want to compromise working speed. My tower is currently configured for HFS as it's a hackintosh, but I believe next week I'll be switching over to Windows and am curious about HFS performance in W10. If you have any experience Josh, I'd love to hear how you're handling.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

Epic-W Helium #796

You touched on the biggest problem we have. Right now we are split with each machine having its own raid card and 8 bay housing. So some are HFS+ and some NTFS. When we need to transfer files we use Mac Drive and Paragon as all our old stuff was Mac formatted. Its not idea by any means but is working. It means we have a lot of stuff copied way more times than needed. We grew super fast this year and could barely stay on top of the work. Now that things are calmed down I am putting together the parts to build either a freeNAS or unraid system and link the main machines to that with a 10 G network. We are also starting to work on an LTO solution that act as another level of data back up. Dont tell my studio manager but I think we will be a completely PC shop within 12-18 months. It will really simplify things for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Tyron View Post
    You touched on the biggest problem we have. Right now we are split with each machine having its own raid card and 8 bay housing. So some are HFS+ and some NTFS. When we need to transfer files we use Mac Drive and Paragon as all our old stuff was Mac formatted. Its not idea by any means but is working. It means we have a lot of stuff copied way more times than needed. We grew super fast this year and could barely stay on top of the work. Now that things are calmed down I am putting together the parts to build either a freeNAS or unraid system and link the main machines to that with a 10 G network. We are also starting to work on an LTO solution that act as another level of data back up. Dont tell my studio manager but I think we will be a completely PC shop within 12-18 months. It will really simplify things for us.
    Ha! Not that it makes things easier, but it does feel better to know others feel similarly. I'm thinking that I'll probably move forward with converting my tower first and it's internal RAID (I need to replace a drive as it's failing so a format was required anyway). I can read from old drives as needed and move forward with a NTFS system for all internal things, knowing I can offload to HFS+ drives as needed with Paragon. I think that'll still play nicely all around....or at least we hope.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

Epic-W Helium #796

Yeah man. This is not what I thought being a cinematographer would entail! Owning my own company has required wearing a lot of hats.

I think the main thing that we run into is on a complicated project we can't rely on everything to export correctly when reading from a Mac formatted drive via mac drive. Things get weird. Sometime footage would export as entirely different clips or at a different point in the clip. It happened a lot and we finally stopped trying and just copied entire projects over to internal or external Window formatted raids.

Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

The Southwest
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF

Keep in mind Clevo has a couple of shells with Desktop CPU's and Nvidia 10xx graphics. The Desktop CPU's have considerable more processing power and clock speed than mobile. They just use more power so the trade off is battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bowen View Post
    Keep in mind Clevo has a couple of shells with Desktop CPU's and Nvidia 10xx graphics. The Desktop CPU's have considerable more processing power and clock speed than mobile. They just use more power so the trade off is battery life.
    Didn't even know about them. Very interesting stuff.

That blade pro is a monster! Little too big and too much cash for me at the moment for my needs.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

Epic-W Helium #796

The Dell XPS 15 had some info leaked yesterday, to be released at CES. That might be the one to go to. Kaby Lake processor and a unannounced Nvidia card as well. Should be interesting if the price is right.
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron McKinlay View Post
    The Dell XPS 15 had some info leaked yesterday, to be released at CES. That might be the one to go to. Kaby Lake processor and a unannounced Nvidia card as well. Should be interesting if the price is right.
    Oh man, this just made things a lot harder haha. I may need to replace my now-dead MBP before Jan 4, when I head out on a month of travel gigs...literally the day before CES starts. Let's see...
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

Epic-W Helium #796

Hey Josh!

Are you still using your Alienware laptop with the graphics amplifier? Have you tested it with a Red Rocket X? How´s it working out for you? I'm considering something similar myself. It would be great to know how/if it worked out for you.

Cheers
    --
    André S. Brandão
    Cinematographer - São Paulo, Brazil

www.andresbrandao.com

DCINE - Digital Cinema
    www.dcine.tv